Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock's for 4th gen

Old 09-24-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock's for 4th gen

which shocks are you using and is your ride daily car or weekend warrior? my friend want to put some good shock absorber on his 2001 Z28 his car got 430rwhp and now its time to put these horse's on the ground the car already has subframe connector's,panhard rod,control arms and springs the only thing left is shock absorbers the torque arm will be changed after while what shock absorbers do you suggest?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Daily driver. Konis.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Plenty to choose from.... I handle pretty much all the brands there are for the 4th gen.

I really have little to go on to make a recommendation. You will get a lot of varying opinions..... Having not only sold shocks for a long, long time, but also having used them and having talked to lots of customers who later upgraded from cheaper shocks I can flatly say Koni's are the best dampers for the car.

Price aside (they run between $850-969/set). They give the best control, can handle the most variety of springs, give the option to slightly lower the car, have by far the best warranty, and can be tuned to the owner's liking being they have an excellent adjuster and range of adjustment. Some balk at the price, which I find odd when they didn't skimp tossing power at the car. And overall good dampers make the car a lot easier to drive fast, and more comfortable too. In fact I'd rather drive a stock powered car on good shocks than anything else on crappy shocks if I have to anything other than drag race it.

From there things are more sticky.

Bilstein's are great quality. Not really meant for lowering springs, and don't have super taut body control. Would have been great OEM shocks, but not a hell of a lot more than that. $420/set

AGX's are adjustable.. but the adjustment isn't like a Koni. The higher settings give better control when the roads are smooth but don't deal with bumps as well as Koni's on a similar control setting. Also the AGX's tend to need to be run at a high level to offer decent control which leaves little room to work because the softer settings are just too soft.

Tokico's are best left to stock sprung daily drivers. Good replacement shock, not lot more. And their warranty sucks (well the warranty is good--getting them to honor it isn't).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to Sam,He knows this stuff real well.He helped me a lot with my setup.If you can swing it go with the koni sa's.That' what I did.Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Launching!

I agree with what the others have said. I'm running Koni SAs with stock springs and love the handling. It's a huge improvement over stock deCarbons!! The price is a bit steep, but well worth it since it got rid of the "floaty" feel the stock shocks had.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

LIsten to sam.

If you don't care about handling or anything and just want some better get blisteins.

If your serious about your car get KONIS 4/4 no looking back
Old 09-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Teching In

not really sure but i have a set of stock suspension springs for a 98 trans am.. i was wondering how much do you guys think i should ask for them if i sell them... they have about 100k miles
Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Daily driver. Konis 4x4 bought from Sam. I love them. I have about the same HP.

Bill
Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam is the only one to listen too. i sometimes wonder which shock to go with because close to a grand is alot for shocks. but whenever i read something like that i have to go with the koni's when the time comes..
Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Sam is the only one to listen too. i sometimes wonder which shock to go with because close to a grand is alot for shocks. but whenever i read something like that i have to go with the koni's when the time comes..
It is a lot of money for Koni's but I just saved up for them. If you are planning on keeping your car you will not regret going with Koni's. They are worth it IMO.

Bill
Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, Koni's are not cheap. When there are a bunch shocks in the $3-400 range Koni's seem very expensive.

Look at it in a different light for a second. There are a lot of cheaper tires than what many of you choose to run, there are cheaper header, hell there are cheaper cars. But you picked what you felt was best for your needs (I'd assume so anyway). And fwiw, a killer set of shocks in Koni's are still way less than what many spend on a cat-back, or headers, or any number of more simple to make, and less critical parts to how the car drives.....

Add to that, you have a number of direct response from people who own them--and there isn't a sour view in the bunch (and it's very rare there is). These are people just like you who had to decide whether or not the cost was worth it. Ultimately they pulled the trigger, and don't regret it for a moment (more to the point they actually are so sure they did the right thing there are here telling you about it). What's the opposite of "buyer's remorse"? A customer that gets what they wanted. I know I'm always happy when I find I bought the right thing and love the result.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shock's for 4th gen