Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stripped out brake bleeder hole.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Tough Mudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stripped out brake bleeder hole.

I stripped out one of my rear brake bleeder holes. I don't know how it
happened. I suppose the solo bleeder I put in could
have gotten cross threaded.

I'm looking for solutions that don't involve replacing the caliper. I've got an extra pair of rears, but they aren't ground for Prostars, and I'd rather not have to spend the time grinding again.

My first thought was to tap the hole and install the next larger bleeder. Does anyone know off hand the size of the stock rear bleeder, or even better, the size of the next size bleeder up? Please include thread pitch.

Thanks in advance,
Hilton.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Tough Mudder

All right; I'm going with the tap and larger bleeder.

Let's talk about depth. Do the bleeders need to bottom out in order to stop the flow of fluid, or is it enough just to screw in enough to cover the hole in the bleeder?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They need to bottom out to stop the fluid flow. The tapered point is what makes the seal.

IMHO, I'd just go with the new/replacement caliper vs. taking a chance. The brake fluid sees a considerable amount of pressure and the smallest leak will turn into a big one under braking, which is exactly when you don't want to find out about it.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Tough Mudder

The tap was not able to cut threads all the way down because of the tip of the tap that was tapered.

I ended up just putting on another caliper and grinding it to fit the Prostar. Now I have 3 powdercoated calipers and one regular! I see it catching on. I'm a trend setter!

I toyed with the idea of sealing that hole and drilling another. Then decided, "hell with it" and threw it away.

Quick Reply: Stripped out brake bleeder hole.