Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tail Light Panel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Light Panel?

Whats everyones opinion on blacking out the Tail light assembly panel on red camaro's? Also, matte black or regular gloss black?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:59 AM
TECH Resident

You talking about the Berger panel? I think it looks sick on a red car with stainless inserts. I personally think Satin or Semi-Gloss black looks the best.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it looks like the car was wrecked and hasn't been repainted yet...
Old 09-25-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gun4hire
I think it looks like the car was wrecked and hasn't been repainted yet...
The public doesn't "get it" that you're trying to mimick a FLAT black tail panel as was used on a 67-69 big block (only) Camaro. They think your car was wrecked and not painted.

Personally unless you have a real GMMG car, I wouldn't do it.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a fan personally just because soooooo many people do it, and it only really looks good on certain cars.

The thing to me is that it looks alright from the back, but if you look from the side it just looks weird.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

So what if i take one off a black z28 and put it on my red Z? Do you think that would look good?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93z28lt1
So what if i take one off a black z28 and put it on my red Z? Do you think that would look good?
Thats what I did. Cost like $14 from the salvage yard and I can switch it back to the red one in a couple minutes if I want. Ideally I would prefer a satin black, but I actually like the gloss black, it matches the roof. Here's a few pics...

With red inserts...

I put the inserts on the panel and took them off like 20 minutes later, personally I thought it looked cleaner without.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ I think that looks ok since you have the red Z28 logo / camaro lettering... but still, I prefer body color for all the body panels.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:57 AM
TECH Resident

It looks good depending on the car, but I can say that it is a little overdone at this point...
Old 09-26-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Im def doing this mod just havent decided satin or gloss yet.

Out of curiosity though when you say its overdone, do you mean on the board or in your local area. There is one car in my town with this and I think 2 that I know of in like 100 mile square radius. Neither are red actually both are white. It might be overdone on the boards but not in local areas from what I have seen. Much more cars at every event Ive seen without than with the berger mod. Including the lsx shootout and the Indy back at the brickyard event. So I just cant see that argument at all...
Old 09-26-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I am just saying on the board, and this is a high density of people that do make their cars look good and run well, so I understand the ratio here of this being done is a little higher than just the general Fbody population.. Like I said it doesnt look bad.. I definitely think it looks better on some cars than others but then again it is all about what you are going for.. I know this is supposed to replicate the big block first gens back in the day but if I were to do this mod, I would find a little bit deeper red than my own and have my berger panel painted satin with that deeper red just to change it up a bit. Satin and gloss can both look good depending on the rest of the car. In the end its your car man, do what you want.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 71-Camaro-98
Yeah I am just saying on the board, and this is a high density of people that do make their cars look good and run well, so I understand the ratio here of this being done is a little higher than just the general Fbody population.. Like I said it doesnt look bad.. I definitely think it looks better on some cars than others but then again it is all about what you are going for.. I know this is supposed to replicate the big block first gens back in the day but if I were to do this mod, I would find a little bit deeper red than my own and have my berger panel painted satin with that deeper red just to change it up a bit. Satin and gloss can both look good depending on the rest of the car. In the end its your car man, do what you want.
ya i was just curious, and see i think that with the different red people would just think it was painted wrong lol. different strokes for different folks, if we were all the same it would be pretty boring!
Old 09-26-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jrob56
ya i was just curious, and see i think that with the different red people would just think it was painted wrong lol. different strokes for different folks, if we were all the same it would be pretty boring!
I am sure some people think that about the black berger panel as well To each his own.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to be having my berger painted satin black sometime soon. Just have to find a painter
Old 09-27-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, I thought it was played out too. When I first saw this mod years ago on the Berger/ZL1 Camaros back in '02 or so, I loved it. Then the past couple years a lot of guys on here were doing it, and I decided that it was overdone and I probably wouldn't do it to mine when I bought a Camaro. Well I ended up buying my Z28 and saw a black Camaro at a junkyard so I decided to buy the panel and give it a shot.

I'm glad I did it though. I think it looks good on my car, it stands out against all the other red Camaros in town, and I can always switch it back if I get tired of it. I really think it looks best on red Camaros. Some cars/colors just can't pull it off as well.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Here's what i did.... Stock panel off a black SS and 2 tone inserts. (sorry for the huge pics)

Quick Reply: Tail Light Panel?