Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Just my luck...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just my luck...

Soo I thought everything was going perfect today. Went with my parents for lunch, filled up my gas tank, and I was about to go pick up some tickets for my brother and I for a party tomorrow night. And then this happened...

The guy was making a left hand turn into a plaza off of saticoy and tampa. I was in the center lane with the right lane clear aswell. But I noticed the left lane was backed up. So I thought it was someone making a left causing the congestion. But then a 2006 explorer is making the left on the opposite side creeped into my lane. By the time I saw him it was too late. And I smashed he left front wheel pretty bad, looked like more damage to his vehicle...I hope. Also I got a witness who was near the street at albertsons who said he saw the other driver on his cell phone. I got his name, and number. The car is home now (obviously from the photos) Im going to wait for the adjuster to come out, then take it to a shop for repairs. What do you guys think? I cant even open the hood, and the car doesnt start. Maybe a short? Also the left side door rubs on the fender, and the window has trouble going up.

Last edited by LS1stunna; 09-26-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow reading that description makes it sound a lot worse then it looks, hope everything gets worked out ok. It seems like they will total a car now a days if someone farted on it wrong.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That's strange that the car doesn't start. As for the hood not opening, it's possible that the cable to the hood latch is disconnected or kinked or something. You could get under the car and try to access the latch manually.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn the exact same thing happened to me a couple of months back. Hopefully everything works out when the adjuster looks at ur car. Plus you'll probably have a little money left over from the estimate like me
Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

pull the pcm fuse or disconnect negative terminal of battery for ten seconds...that should allow your car to start... if it detects an accident it will kill the ignition system... weird it did not reset on ts own though.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 180ls1
wow reading that description makes it sound a lot worse then it looks, hope everything gets worked out ok. It seems like they will total a car now a days if someone farted on it wrong.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it looks like the whole front of the car is twisted, hopefully its not bad
Old 09-26-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to post these...

Old 09-26-2009, 12:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, read my posts, you'll feel better. Stop crying.

J/K. Sucks man. Hope it gets fixed.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sad to see that. Hopefully everything gets worked out.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

So now the adjuster that came out to the body shop to see my car says that my engine gasket, transmission end seal, and p/s pump seal is leaking. And has nothing to do with the accident that its all mechanical issues, and it wont be covered. What kinda of bs is this, my car never leaked anything. I had it to my transmission shop back in May, and he said everything was fine.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1stunna
So now the adjuster that came out to the body shop to see my car says that my engine gasket, transmission end seal, and p/s pump seal is leaking. And has nothing to do with the accident that its all mechanical issues, and it wont be covered. What kinda of bs is this, my car never leaked anything. I had it to my transmission shop back in May, and he said everything was fine.
fight that ****... just because he says one thing doesn't mean you can't get it turned over. Don't accept anything less... once you do, that's it and nothing can be done...

sorry for the bad luck
Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would want to know how in the hell he/she really knows what was caused by the accident!
IMO, it doesn't sound like your insurance company is on your side at all!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well im meeting with him, along with his supervisor. All he could say was that he has been doing this for 20+ years, and its his profession. He just said its the bumper, the hood, radiator support, and air box that has damaged due to the accident, nothing else. Ive always hated dealing with people about cars.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

God damn, it sounds like he's the adjuster from the other insurance company. That sux.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive dealt with adjusters before, they all say the same thing, "ive been doing this for blah blah blah years and this is my living I know what im doing". First thing you should do is go to body shop that has a mechanic on site, and have them right you a letter stating that the mechanical damage to the car was inflicted upon impact, and shows signs of leaking only for a short period of time. They will fight with you and go back and forth and say you dont have a chance, so then you tell them that your back has been bothering you and your thinking of seeing a doctor and physical therapist. They will start shitting themselves because they will lose LOTS of money if you do, and you will see a nice settlement out of it.

From the pictures it looks like the front bumper was pushed in from the accident. Its possible that the force of impact pushed the chassis with such force that it tweaked your power steering rack/lines and ruptured your rear main seal. "Engine gasket" is not a very good description, but like I said its possible it was caused from the accident, and as far as the insurance adjusters are concerned it was.

If you need a good body shop that will help you out hit me up, I can send you to the place I used when I had my accident. Lets just say that a 5 mph bump from an old middle eastern woman got me a new rear bumper, and fresh paint on alot of my car
It is possible to come out on top if you know what to do, just be careful as these insurance adjusters are sneaky bastards. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

yea we had an adjuster try and screw us over saying that our BRAND NEW car had previous damage from before the accident. GEICO SUX
Old 09-29-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

do not mention anything about being injured or lack their of unless you talk to a lawyer first. I am sure you have already told them something but this might have to come down to a lawsuit due to injuries from the accident. That might be the only way to get your money back. And i would not sign any papers unless you are 100% happy.

Last edited by 180ls1; 09-29-2009 at 09:34 PM.