Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TA hood light mod idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA hood light mod idea

Ok so I've seen the mod where you install lights under the hood to light up the ram air openings on TA's with a WS6 style hood. What I wanted to do was basically that but I want the light to progressively get brighter as the engine rpm's got higher. The light would be amber in color to simulate the look of a fire under the hood but as the rpm's climb the light would get brighter and brighter, and then dim to almost nothing when at idle. This would obviousley look better on a black TA but I still think it would be somewhat original and cool looking on my white bird. So how do I make this work, what are your suggestions?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not absoluutely sure about this, but i don't belive you will be able to make that work. The electronics of a car run off a dc battery with constant voltage and i think you would need an ac voltage source to accomplish this. We have some pilot lights at work that do just what you're wanting for our generators, but once again, that is an ac voltage source. I'll try to get my hands onsome prints from work and see if i can help you out. And if i'm completely wrong.....my bad. haha. By the way, where are you in tn?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could probably do it and run off of a tach signal wire, and have a line level attenuator (sp?) to adjust the voltage and current to what you need. If my understanding is right, the tach works by a varying amount of voltage, and that would be your ideal signal source, your problem is just going to be figuring out a way to boost (or drop) the voltage to what you need.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I think you'd end up WAY over your head unless you've got a lot of electronics experience. Also, I'd guess a lot of the cars with underhood lights use LED's, and variable LED's are $$$. For example, a flashlight with variable output LED's is typically $200 and up.

Last edited by jimbo98z; 09-26-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:35 AM
TECH Resident

instead of variable how about sequencial led 1 then 2 then 3 and so forth as the rpm's increase. sounds like a good project, just i hate the wires going up the struts to feed the led's.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

jus get a basic LED bar kit thats sound sensitive...
Old 09-26-2009, 03:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

hookerta?
Old 09-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Staging Lane

Just run it off the alternator.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billyb
instead of variable how about sequencial led 1 then 2 then 3 and so forth as the rpm's increase. sounds like a good project, just i hate the wires going up the struts to feed the led's.
Good call, forgot about the fact that you could run sequentials
Old 09-26-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
You could probably do it and run off of a tach signal wire, and have a line level attenuator (sp?) to adjust the voltage and current to what you need. If my understanding is right, the tach works by a varying amount of voltage, and that would be your ideal signal source, your problem is just going to be figuring out a way to boost (or drop) the voltage to what you need.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I think you'd end up WAY over your head unless you've got a lot of electronics experience. Also, I'd guess a lot of the cars with underhood lights use LED's, and variable LED's are $$$. For example, a flashlight with variable output LED's is typically $200 and up.
Never even thought of that. I wasn't aware that was how the tach operated. If that's true, all you would probably need is a small resistor to make sure the bulbs don't get too much current; or if you knew how much current and potential was sent to the tach, you could just find some bulbs rated at that. Sorry, i think i'm getting too into this, but ya'll got me wondering about this now and it's driving me nuts.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks all for your input, sequential leds would probably be to slow for what I'd like to actually see happen.So far I think jimbo98z has the closest idea for what I need to do. I would be over my head since all I know how to do is splice wires but I've got a few spark chaser friends that might be able to help me out. If not I can always search around locally for the best car audio or car electrician and get more input. This mod is not a must do right now but eventually when I finish the paint scheme I have in mind I think it would tie in real nicely and I want something original also. The sound sensitive leds might work but it depends how fast the brighten and dim.
By the way, where are you in tn?
I am stationed at Ft. Campbell KY and live in Clarksville
Also registered on the TNfbody site as HookerZ28(TA)
Old 09-26-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh ok. i think i've seen you over on that site. I actually bought my car from a M.P. up there. Like i said earlier though, i'll try to look at some electrical prints at work and then try to see what i can find out about our car's electrical and i might be able to come up with something for ya.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Cool, thanks for the help. If I'm able to get this to work I'll post up another thread on it with pics and a video. I looked into the sound activated leds and this might also work but I would have to use different lights to progressively light up brighter as the rpms got higher. Or maybe use a long strip of lights and have them come on sequentially starting at the back of the row closest to the firewall. This might give it the dim to bright sequence I'm looking for. Well more input if you all have any, thanks again everyone.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think pheer just hit it there.....
Old 09-27-2009, 03:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
I think pheer just hit it there.....
not following you on that one

Quick Reply: TA hood light mod idea