Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

noisey 9 inch 4th gear swap!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default noisey 9 inch 4th gear swap!

started out with a stock case richmond 4.33 gear, drove it for a bit and couldnt take it. put in a motive brand 4.33. it made the same noises.
ended up swapping to a 5.00 ace brand gear and it was the same, only a lil louder. stock case/pinion support exploded.
all this happened over a period of 2 years.
now i have an entirely new center section. not one piece has been reused.
moser alum. thru bolt. richmond 4.22 gear REM treatment, steel spool, billet daytona support, billet yoke.
killed my transmission yoke also, so got a new chrome moly yoke, new spicer u joints as well.
thought i was good to go.

rearend is STILL making the same noises.
ive been told by many "thats a 9'" "its a race car"
4 different gears, 3 different guys setting them up.
even each time with the stock case i went with new bearing kit for piece of mind.

noise comes in out of nowhere at 40mph and is really in by 50mph.
you think it would gradually get louder, but it just pops up like you hit the mute button.
from there it will get stone quiet until you cruise at 70mph and its almost unbearable.
sounds like gear whine, but its intermittant, like morse code. you could tap your foot to it like a fast beat song.
while slowing down, the whine dissapears while you are on the brakes. turns into a growl and growning, almost like something is grinding as it slows down.
talked with moser and they said negative pinion will make a howl, so i jacked the pinion all sorts of ways, didnt change anything.
i ordered a new set of axle bearings to try to eliminate another issue, and are also going to have my axles checked for straitness.
i was for sure a new setup would fix my problem, but its only making me crazy.
3 different guys set 4 different gears up, and the same noise persists.
even when i pull the chunk out, all of the gears have had a decent wear pattern.
i dont know what to do.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was real noisey with 3 sets of gears. When I took it apart this time. I sold my thru bolt case and got A pro case from strange. I had A back brace installed and sway bar mounts before it was ever ran with the first gear set. So this time I had my housing checked with A straight bar and checking center section. Drivers side was off .060 and pass. side was off .250. I can't beleive I was even able too get the axle in but it always went together just fine. I had too have the ends cut off and new flush mounts re installed and now the housing is almost perfect. Good thing I have adjustable lower control arms because now the axle tube is off but the housing end is were it should be. I'm putting it back together right now so I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by formula98ws6
Mine was real noisey with 3 sets of gears. When I took it apart this time. I sold my thru bolt case and got A pro case from strange. I had A back brace installed and sway bar mounts before it was ever ran with the first gear set. So this time I had my housing checked with A straight bar and checking center section. Drivers side was off .060 and pass. side was off .250. I can't beleive I was even able too get the axle in but it always went together just fine. I had too have the ends cut off and new flush mounts re installed and now the housing is almost perfect. Good thing I have adjustable lower control arms because now the axle tube is off but the housing end is were it should be. I'm putting it back together right now so I will let you know how it turns out.
moser housing?
i may have to pull this bad boy down if your problem goes away.
getting real tired of working on the rearend of this car.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

I got rid of my 9" for that reason. It was a noisy bitch through and through. I know the **** wasn't set up right but I just got a full refund. I win.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:20 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
I got rid of my 9" for that reason. It was a noisy bitch through and through. I know the **** wasn't set up right but I just got a full refund. I win.
you back to a 10 bolt?