Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

recirculating/dumping crankcase fumes vs IAT

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recirculating/dumping crankcase fumes vs IAT

Well, ive been thinking. I currently have my valve covers vented to both air cleaners on my TT, this way I get no smell of fumes, and when under boost a slight negative pressure between the air cleaner and the turbo might help PULL vaccum on the crankcase.

I was doing some logs last time, and I noticed that while my IATs didnt look TOO bad, except lower is always better. Will I notice any difference if I vent the fumes to the atmosphere rather than recirculate them into the intake, taking into consideration its hot air to begin with.

Theoretically, my IATs should be less, but how much is the question, if its too little to be noticed Id rather leave it this way, but if I would be able to SEE a clear difference, then I would definitely do that.

So simple question, would dumping Crankcase blow-by into the atmosphere rather than recirculate them back into the air-cleaners help reduce IATs under boost?

Thanks

Last edited by ayousef; 09-26-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Coal Mining Director

Not enough volume to measure.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

sorry I didnt completely get you, do you mean because of the lower volume its negligible? If I knew what temps were talking about for the fumes/blow-by I could come up with an "educated guess" at least.

again theoretically, my IATs should be better, but how much better will remain unknown, its a trade off to me however, better crankcase ventilation or lower IAT.

Any other ideas on this?
Old 09-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Coal Mining Director

The volume of airflow that you would be removing from the total airflow is so small (even if it was very hot) it will not be measurable in AIT drop. I'd be surprised if you could measure 1 degree drop.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think externally venting will help more by keeping the inside of your IC free from a film of oil which lowers its efficiency and raises IATs.

Otherwise agree with onfire.

Jim

Quick Reply: recirculating/dumping crankcase fumes vs IAT