Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to make softer ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make softer ride?

Hey guys, I have a question about making asofter ride for my 02 trans am-
I don't know if it my age catching up but the car seems harsh riding, I know its a sports car. But like some of my other cars they were sporty but seemed a little softer ride.
I installed all new shocks KYB adjustable front and tockico in rear, is there any thing that can acutally change the ride to a softer feel, I dont race but like the power very much. If any one knows of parts to do this let me know, or is this just not possible because of the frame and build of this type of car.

Thanks for any input!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the car lowered? what springs do you have? What wheels and what size tires?
Old 09-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Teching In

I have stock springs, 17 inch rims bf good rich tires, its not lowered.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont see how it could be that rough unless its got a lot of miles.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Was the ride rough before the shock installtion? If you are basically stock I don't know that you are going to smooth it out beyond the original deCarbons. If your tires are KDs then they have a very stiff sidewall and a softer tire will help.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Since the change of shocks the ride acutally got a bit better.
I have bf good rich comp ta tires, I guess what I asking is I read alot of sway bars, tie rods and other parts , do they make the ride softer or just make cornering tighter?
What about the lowering springs? do they just lower the car for looks or do different springs make it feel more floaty over bumps, thats what I want not a feeling like a caddilac but like an sports car foregin or something. I love the american muscle but not to crazy how it handles the bumps.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steelbird
Since the change of shocks the ride acutally got a bit better.
I have bf good rich comp ta tires, I guess what I asking is I read alot of sway bars, tie rods and other parts , do they make the ride softer or just make cornering tighter?
What about the lowering springs? do they just lower the car for looks or do different springs make it feel more floaty over bumps, thats what I want not a feeling like a caddilac but like an sports car foregin or something. I love the american muscle but not to crazy how it handles the bumps.
No for everything. Lowering springs will only make it worse. Beside a softer tire and a taller sidewall there is really nothing you can do. I just dont see how its riding that rough.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

if you're going for more of a "foreign" sports car feel what will probably benefit you most is better shocks. you're not going to get a softer spring than stock, so the best thing you can do is get the best set of shocks out there to handle the rebound on the bumps. keep in mind this is coming from someone who usually tries to support the fact that there ARE other options out there, but from personal experience i think that they are definitely what you are looking for.

also subframe connectors often described as making the car feel more foreign but mostly because of overall rigidity, which is probably not what you want
Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What's your front, and rear tire pressure?
If it's higher than 32psi front, and 30psi rear lower it.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You may be able to tune some of it out by adjusting the KYB's to a softer setting. Do the KYB's have Bump adjustment or just rebound? You'll the the most gains by softening up the bump. Do the Tockicos have any adjustablility?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Hey guys, thanks for all the input,

I do have subframe connectors, from the previous owner?
But I will check tire pressure , the tires are brand new.
The Kyb shocks are set on 4 , 1 being soft and 8 being tight-

Tockicos don't adjust , I know everyone says get KOnis I just couldn't spend almost 1,000 bucks on shocks you know. But maybe thats the way it is?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You could try different setting on the KYB's and see if you get a more agreeable ride quality. Yea, Koni's would have been the Cat's ***, but I understand budget restraints.

One other crazy idea would be to swap out the stock springs for V6 F-body springs. I believe, but I have to double check, that they have even a softer rate.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

+1 on correct tire pressure:

No higher than 32psi front, 29psi rear checked with cold tires at 70 deg. F. You can even get away with 30psi front and 28psi rear if you like it better.

Harsh ride on stock spring usually comes from worn out/crap shocks and/or high tire pressures.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your tire pressure first off ,then play with the adjustment on your shocks.The koni's are way better but that is not an option now.I know how that goes.Try those things and go from there.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

When I installed subframe connectors I wasn't prepared for how much harshness they'd add to the ride. On Sam's advice, I went to Bilstein shocks and they helped tremendously.

Your shock combo should be able to provide you with a comfy ride, especially after playing with the front's adjustment to get it right. Tockico's ride nicely.

If your SFC's are bolt-on, take them off and see what difference it makes.

A lot of BFG performance tires have a stiff sidewall which contributes to the problem.

What everybody is saying about tire pressure is also critical to a good ride.

Quick Reply: How to make softer ride?