Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Hendrix Econo-Axle Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hendrix Econo-Axle Review

Alright everyone, well last night I got a chance to get to the drag strip with the econo-axle and I had very mixed results. Keep in mind this is with a Kars III bar, diff support, and my rear cradle HARD MOUNTED to the body (bushings not to blame) The guys with the pro axles had exactly the same results at the track.

STREET

On the street the axle works great. I get no hop whatsoever. I can launch from any light/stop sign and just spin the tires. The only time I get hop is in the rain. It is not AS violent as before the axle but it still exists and it is normal old hop.
STRIP

At the drag strip the axles did help, but did not fix the problem. The guys with the pro-axles and I agree that what we got was more "chatter" then hop, but in any case it was not just a good clean launch. Keep in mind that drag strips are prepped to be very sticky so if there was going to be hop it would be there.
Overall I would say that for 90% of V owners these are the perfect fix. They work great on the street and are great protection for your diff. For the drag strip guys however, this is not the answer we were looking for. Thomas is making me a passenger econo-axle to add on to see if it helps at all so I will have results for that when it gets here.

Also keep in mind that ANY axle replacement from ANY manufacturer will have the same results, so don't think that going with another company will solve your problem, The results are what they are...

Here is a launch vid...the time sucks because I only got fuel and no nitrous out of the kit, was running ridiculously rich:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od6l8lqZhfE

Last edited by SkullV; 09-27-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

this won't deter me at all. sounds like it is still a better fix than the bmr kit that i was leaning towards. later i can add the specter werkes bushings for bit more help perhaps.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

So any times?

You might get the air bags to but in there and pump them up nice and tight. I bet that'll eliminate the rest.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jerrad
So any times?

You might get the air bags to but in there and pump them up nice and tight. I bet that'll eliminate the rest.
13.4..I forget the MPH the slip is in the car, confident that I would have run mid 12s if my nitrous kit would have worked right and if a damn random kid didn't lose my fuel jet for my nitrous plate once I got it fixed.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any theories on how well it would have worked with out the Kars stuff? I'm curious if this is better than the Kars stuff or works best with it. If the price is the same, which it sounds like it's in the same ballpark, it would be an awesome upgrade instead of having to get the Kars kit for those that don't really track it a whole lot like me.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Banned

what tires are you running?

also sounds like the clutch didnt grab right on the 2nd to 3rd shift? or is it just me
Old 09-27-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Im gonna pull the triger on these soon.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Re01r in stock size...and yes I need a clutch...that will be a winter project along with some motor work and some nitrous upgrades.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

Thanks for the vid and honest info. Seems like the axles will be good for the street use.

Is the track vid with the polly creative motor mounts and trans mount?

Are you running a diff bushing or is it the stock one ?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Creative Steel Motor/Trans Mount and stock diff bushing, but again my cradle is hard mounted to the body and I have the Kars III pinion support brace
Old 09-27-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so this was WITH the kars kit, diff support and cradle bushing? and there was still hop. anxious to see what it would be like with just the axle. is anyone gonna be doing a review with just the stock car no wheel hop fixes besides the axle? doesnt sound like a good solution so far.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
so this was WITH the kars kit, diff support and cradle bushing? and there was still hop. anxious to see what it would be like with just the axle. is anyone gonna be doing a review with just the stock car no wheel hop fixes besides the axle? doesnt sound like a good solution so far.
The guy on the other forum had just the axle, but like I said there is no reason for the results of this axle to be any different then the pro axles. It is one much bigger axle and one smaller and lots of guys that that with no KARS. Like I said, for street use this is perfect, for track use it helps, but it's not a fix. Also as I said these are going to be the results for ANY manufacturer's axles. It's all the same stuff with different brand names.

I came to the sad sad realization last night that no matter what you do short of spending $7500 on Madman the V is not a drag car..
Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

WTF?! Has Mikenice even shown a vid or timeslip at the track.. NO! So wut kinda ****** say does he have besides his gay *** cruisn vids on youtube. Hes a ****** Douche! And yea i said it and yea im basically stock but you can still suck my ***** you cocky bastard! No one likes you here so take an imaginary gun and blow ur homo *** good bye cuz tommorow you wont exsist on this site.. Peace *****!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

when you say chatter then hop, did you vary the launch RPM? ie MORE RPM?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Chatter occurred at a clutch dump at 2.5k, 3k, 4k, and even 5k at the track. Again none of this on the street, just spinning.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So do you think this is better as a replacement for the Kars kit or should be used with the Kars kit?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
So do you think this is better as a replacement for the Kars kit or should be used with the Kars kit?
Either way should be fine. The Kars does more then just work with wheelhop. It also stiffens up the rear cradle and the entire chassis. I would say the axles work better overall.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Collections Ban

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Actlly its the best solution so far
Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering
Actlly its the best solution so far
If the car is still hopping I wouldn't call it a solution, maybe a band-aid but not a solution.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

good write up... shame that the hop/chatter is still there even with the kars kit also... so find a used kars for $6xx plus these axles... to "reduce" hop... not worth it in my eyes... i will deal with it... ya know..

Quick Reply: Hendrix Econo-Axle Review