Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to change exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want to change exhaust

I currently have mac mids with ORY into slp dd with a cutout. I'm going to change to pacesetter lt's and stay with an ORY but I can't make up my mind on the catback. Either tsp rumbler, magnaflow, or 3.5" mufflex? My other mods are F1 cam and vig3600. I really like how loud my current setup is uncapped but don't like the rasp/drone. I don't want a sleeper exhaust, I get tired dealing with the cutout sometimes. I want a full 3", no 2.5" surprise and of course more free flowing than what I have now. I swear I have the more restricted dual/dual that has the cone resonator that shrinks the ID to basically nothing. I've searched all over for sound clips of each option I listed but can't seem to make my decision, I've been leaning towards magnaflow but dont want to put it on and not be happy with the sound. I'd rather not put a cutout in it since my current CB has one, would seem like a wasteful swap. Help me out with better sound clips, opinions, etc. I looked all over ls1sounds and just can't seem to find a comparable setup I would have. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my buddy has a magnaflow, i'm not a fan of it, it is kind of high pitched, it doesnt have that deep muscle car sound.... i have heard the hooker, sounds good.
the rumbler is a straight through design, only has a bullet muffler....sounds good....

haven't heard too many mufflex clips.....

i say rumbler / mufflex.....
Old 10-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

Out of those I would go tsp rumbler. If I didnt have Borla and was on a budget for a catback I would probably go with Hooker.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:37 AM
12 Second Club

I've got a Hooker. Love it. Deep tone, gets louder as rpms increase and doesn't have an annoying rasp.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Launching!

Default Hooker

Ive got Hooker ceramic coated LT's with the TSP catted Y-pipe with the 3 inch dynomax I pipe with the 3 inch over the axle mandrel bent pipe to the Hooker Aerochamber muffler with 2.5 outlets and she sounds deep and very good in my opinion. It turned out better and sounded better than expected especially when you floor it from a roll ====It screams.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a Borla and put an Elec cut out on it. best of both worlds IMO.

otherwise a Magnaflow its a good compromise.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

why not just replace the muffler?

then you don't need to worry about buying all the tubing and you'll just keep the cutout.

but if you like how the car sounds with the cutout OPEN...you'll be disappointed with the sound of the magnaflow catback. its pretty mellow at idle and cruising. WOT it screams pretty good though.

i would say your best bet is the Rumbler

the Mufflex would be good, but you Ypipe is still gonna be 3" unless you upgrade the merge on it.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would look into a hooker catback. nice deep sound.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

mufflex 3.5 is a nice setup and sounds amazing with a good cam in it and along with LT's and ory of course
Old 10-01-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can take out the reducer in the driverside tailpipe right by the muffler, but it wasn't in most of the exhausts. I just had a SLP DD installed on my SS and I really like it; its quiet when I want it to be and LOUD when I'm on it! If you are going to re-do you exhaust then heres what I would do:
-custom make a y-pipe using the Flowmaster merge
-consider using hi-flow cats (for the simple fact of reducing rasp)
-install a bullet in the I-pipe before the cut-out
-install a cut-out
-whatever catback you want but the SLP DD is considered one of the very best flowing catbacks; some guys onlt gained 5hp w/ cutout
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I second the custom y-pipe or at least one of the new ones using the better merge. That is what the high pitched sound comes from like from the comment on the Magnaflow. Personally I like the sound of the magnaflow better than the others with LTs and a cam. Nice low rumble at idle but freaking roars when getting on it.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks a lot for all the options guys. I ended up getting the following: corsa ipipe with a bullet welded in--corsa OTA--magnaflow muffler into single tips. I am going to replace my slp dd with it to see how it sounds with my macs/ory. Within the month I'll get pacesetters with either a tsp ory or high flow catted y.