Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK Shortie Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation BBK Shortie Headers

Are BBK Short Tube headers worth the money? ... if I went with Pace Setter Long tubes are they still capable to bolt straight to stock 01 camaro SS CATS?

I am trying to plan out this project. I am definitely going with the Magnaflow 15684 Catback exhaust.

So again if I went with long tubes .. what happens to the Stock CATS, STOCK Y pipe and STOCK o2 sensors? Thinks thats all my concerns...
Old 09-28-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pacesetter are NOT direct bolt on, I believe BBk are. I did see a difference with my edelbrock shorties, but I got a really good deal on them. In my opinion it is not worth the 300-400 dollars. If you can find them used on ebay or craigslist for 100-200 dollars I would say go for it. Worth about 10 horse and 10 torque. It does make it easier when you can do it yourself.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zaxz28
Pacesetter are NOT direct bolt on, I believe BBk are. I did see a difference with my edelbrock shorties, but I got a really good deal on them. In my opinion it is not worth the 300-400 dollars. If you can find them used on ebay or craigslist for 100-200 dollars I would say go for it. Worth about 10 horse and 10 torque. It does make it easier when you can do it yourself.
Yeah, the $399 is really making me think twice about buying them, been looking at craiglist to see if anyone has them up for sale anywhere from PA to NYC ... as far as the BBK shorts- is there anything more that I need in addition to it ... any extra plugs or anything like that? o2 sensor extensions?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you get them used, might need new gaskets and header bolts, other wise if it is anything like the edelbrocks I got They hook right up no real tweaking needed.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Teching In

If you get them used, might need new gaskets and header bolts, other wise if it is anything like the edelbrocks I got They hook right up no real tweaking needed.
edelbrocks you say? How happy are you with them? I assume they are short tube-
Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I absolutley love them, I got them (because somebody mis-catorigized) them for pretty cheap. Putting them on took me about two days of easy working. I made sure I hit all of the bolts espescially for the cats and y pipe with a lot of penetrating oil the night before and let them soak. Made life a lot easier. Bolted right up NO MODDING except for a slight angle on an AIR tube. I have not had it dynoed but I have read in numerous magazine articles that have dynoed stock application that it is worth around 10 hp and 10 torque. Not bad for 100 bucks. Now think about the LT's If you want to do it right it is going to cost you even used. 200 for used LT's, high flow cats 200, Y-pipe 200 and/or tune to eliminate 02 sensors 200-300, For what 22-30 horsepower? Not bagging on people that do it, but I don't have that kind of money to sink into my car. IMO, but hey I am doing everything wrong with my car, next is a weiand intake ported to match my heads and a bbk 80 mm throttle body.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Teching In

I absolutley love them, I got them (because somebody mis-catorigized) them for pretty cheap. Putting them on took me about two days of easy working. I made sure I hit all of the bolts espescially for the cats and y pipe with a lot of penetrating oil the night before and let them soak. Made life a lot easier. Bolted right up NO MODDING except for a slight angle on an AIR tube. I have not had it dynoed but I have read in numerous magazine articles that have dynoed stock application that it is worth around 10 hp and 10 torque. Not bad for 100 bucks. Now think about the LT's If you want to do it right it is going to cost you even used. 200 for used LT's, high flow cats 200, Y-pipe 200 and/or tune to eliminate 02 sensors 200-300, For what 22-30 horsepower? Not bagging on people that do it, but I don't have that kind of money to sink into my car. IMO, but hey I am doing everything wrong with my car, next is a weiand intake ported to match my heads and a bbk 80 mm throttle body.
How was the install though, was there anything extra that was needed? Possibly extensions for o2 sensors or anything that would be unforseen other than the headers?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Dont even waste the money on the shorties...your 01 manifolds flow just as good.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

i had edelbrock shorties for awhile then just got my pacesetter longtubes and ory on last week and the car runs much better (faster) and it even sounds better with a deeper rumble from the LT's
i got my longtubes from neweraperformance for like 379 shipped and then got the tsp ory for like 160 shipped, pretty good if you ask me
Old 09-29-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

No extensions necessary, people often don't realize that when you buy those long tubes a lot more money is needed. with the shorties I averaged 10 per horse, LT 600 for 20 about 30 dollars per horsepower, I already know I am never going to be the fastest, just want to make it more effeciant. Don't want to scrape or worry about emissions. It's up to you I didn't go with LT's and I am happy with my choice.

Last edited by Zaxz28; 09-29-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had shorties with the stock y and magnaflow, i wouldn't spend the money on shorties honestly. fortunately mine were already on the car when i bought it. now i have long tubes and they were well worth the money. FWIW....
Old 09-29-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look at this article.... If a C-5 exhaust can do this to an ls1 engine isn't it reasonable to believe that a quality shorty header would do the same if not better.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...o_numbers.html
Old 09-29-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look at this article.... If a C-5 exhaust can do this to an ls1 engine isn't it reasonable to believe that a quality shorty header would do the same if not better.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...o_numbers.html
That article does not state if the f body manifolds were the new 01 on up style or not. Shortys would flow better than 98-00 manifolds. But why waste all the time and money to do them if your getting minimal gains. Shortys maybe 5-10hp and lt's your talking 20 untuned or 25 with a tune. Not to mention the sound.BBk has lt headers chromed with a y for $369 add another 35 for o2 extensions and your done.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is without cats of course. If your state requires emissions then even shorties are marginal, but most places charge around 50 bucks or frost on here for 75 to tune out the codes.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lets not forget about the cats 300 or the tune to get them tuned out right 300? You are right I don't think they are worth the 300-400 asked, but if he can get them for 100-200 I think it is worth it in my opinion.

Sorry writing while you were.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also if your talking about a difference of 10 to 15 horse between shorties and LT's for the work I will keep my shorties and get it tuned
Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

The BBK shorties are good. You have to port the slag that's left in them. Also the outlets are not the same diameter, onse side is 2 1/4" and the other is 2 1/2". I matched them and the Cat pipe to 2 1/2". Summitt has them for $299.00 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-4003/?image=large , This is not a bad setup I had them on my TA in 2004. I would stay away from the BBK 80mm TB, it is crap. I swapped it out for a ported stock and the car ran so much better. I own a vert now and love it. Shorties are a good compromise for me in this car and they are easy to install and remove. Use air tools and lots of anti-seize and you will be alright. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Guys, all I can say is that I appreciate all the input , now I'm more confused than I was before with what I want .

Dont get me wrong .. i am new to all this heavier car work, but I want my SS to open up and be what it should be. I'm looking for horse power an I would throw the money to the wind and get the BBK Headers or a similar branded header. But:

1. Fact is I drive the car through PA, NY, and NJ. I don't know what the laws are.

2. If your state has an emissions test, how do you pass with no cats?

3. I'm going Hooker Cat Back first, the headers are second and as stated, I would love the long tubes and to do it right but i dont know the laws for the 3 states i drive through.

4a. If we are good, and I dont need cats and there is a way around the emissions test then I'll go Long tubes, new hooker or bbk Y, str8 into the hooker exhaust .. and that along gives me a chubby thinking about it.
4b. Yeah .. i cant see just doing the shorties, but if its all I CAN do .. then I will do them into the stock cats then into the stock Y and into the Hooker exhaust.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Well looks like shorties are the only way I can go

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvettef...ad.php?t=24330
Old 09-29-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am worried about this too.. want longtubes so bad but really dont want to get fined.. or just keep failing inspection. but im not due for inspection for 2 years so idk if i wanna just go ahead and get them hope fore the best and hope i pass inspection? only 17 more years till i dont have to get my car inspected.. once they hit 25 years u can get historic tags and dont need inspection , a buddy of mine did this with his chevy deluxe truck lol, but i want the full gains of longtubes and a better Y pipe merge, im getting wheels some time in october.. but after that next on the list is headers and i just want all the facts before i make my choice just like you man.

Quick Reply: BBK Shortie Headers