PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD tuning for bracket racing

Old 09-28-2009, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD tuning for bracket racing

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, couldn't find it. But what is the best set up for bracketracing in regards to tuning. I run a maf tune and my car will be consistent for awhile and 3 or 4 runs in it will all of a sudden lose a tenth. I have to be available to track this to be ready for it. Any input would really help
Old 09-29-2009, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

anyone?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bracketracerZ28
anyone?
Chances are it slows down because the IAT gets heatsoaked and causes the PCM to start pulling timing OR the weather changes are causing a loss in power.

Fact of the matter is, the car will make more power in cooler weather. You'll have better luck running a slower dial in and hitting the brakes at the line vs. trying to tune the car via the PCM to be consistent in all weather conditions.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Chances are it slows down because the IAT gets heatsoaked and causes the PCM to start pulling timing OR the weather changes are causing a loss in power.

Fact of the matter is, the car will make more power in cooler weather. You'll have better luck running a slower dial in and hitting the brakes at the line vs. trying to tune the car via the PCM to be consistent in all weather conditions.
It will actually get faster by a tenth out of no where....usually the 3rd or 4th run that day. Then it will go back to where it was running
Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 AM
7 Second Club

Received 282 Likes on 186 Posts

A MAF is going to be more accurate for weather fluctuations than speed density will be, period. One is a measurement, one is "calculated". If/when the IAT heat soaks it's going to affect a speed density tune much more so than a MAF tune and throw the fueling/timing curves off a bit.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NicD
A MAF is going to be more accurate for weather fluctuations than speed density will be, period. One is a measurement, one is "calculated". If/when the IAT heat soaks it's going to affect a speed density tune much more so than a MAF tune and throw the fueling/timing curves off a bit.
I've heard of guys moving the IAT to a diff part of the car (behind the headlight)... does this help to keep that reading consistent?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 PM
7 Second Club

I've heard of guys moving the IAT to a diff part of the car (behind the headlight)... does this help to keep that reading consistent?
Yes it does. Keeping it away from heat sources where it can heat soak will help with more consistent readings.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Yes it does. Keeping it away from heat sources where it can heat soak will help with more consistent readings.
I think I will try that cause the IAT is what I watch to dial in my car at the track...thanks nic
Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 PM
7 Second Club

I think I will try that cause the IAT is what I watch to dial in my car at the track...thanks nic
Yea, if that's the case you need it to be in a more ambient less heat soaking area for sure to keep things more consistent from run to run.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Teching In

I had the same issue with our dragster. Usually 3rd or 4th round it will pick up a tenth or more. My tune is very basic, most tables are zeroed out so nothing comes in to play. Just fuel and spark, keeping it real simple.

Last week I decided that I was running rich despite what my wide band O2 was telling me so from 5K to 7K I went from 12.90 AFR to 13.15. The predicted et's where within a few thousands during the heat of the day and the MPH did not move but later that night when it went from 7500DA to 6200DA it picked up exactly what the software predicted. This proved I was rich and when the air was better by the later rounds it loved the extra fuel. So by running it a little leaner it appears the et is more stable and predictable. That was our last race of the year so I wont be able to backup the claims....

Lee
Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, if that's the case you need it to be in a more ambient less heat soaking area for sure to keep things more consistent from run to run.
are there any issues I need to know about when I move it? what places are the best under hood?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=5501

That's where I put mine when I was N/A.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 71_firebird
I had the same issue with our dragster. Usually 3rd or 4th round it will pick up a tenth or more. My tune is very basic, most tables are zeroed out so nothing comes in to play. Just fuel and spark, keeping it real simple.

Last week I decided that I was running rich despite what my wide band O2 was telling me so from 5K to 7K I went from 12.90 AFR to 13.15. The predicted et's where within a few thousands during the heat of the day and the MPH did not move but later that night when it went from 7500DA to 6200DA it picked up exactly what the software predicted. This proved I was rich and when the air was better by the later rounds it loved the extra fuel. So by running it a little leaner it appears the et is more stable and predictable. That was our last race of the year so I wont be able to backup the claims....

Lee
interesting cause another tuner told me to set the car for 'kill' which I assumed meant lean.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Teching In

I did learn the lean made it more consistent.

Is your car more street or strip driven?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

I did learn the lean made it more consistent.

Is your car more street or strip driven?
pretty much just strip with the occassional car show mixed in
Old 09-30-2009, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=5501

That's where I put mine when I was N/A.
I looked on that caspers website and couldnt find an extender for the IAT. I would like something clean instead of botched. I'm afraid if I put it in front where the air is coming in while I'm racing, It may do some weird stuff with the timing down track?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Do you have a tuner like EFILive?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Do you have a tuner like EFILive?
No sir...haven't ventured into that realm. Figure I may just go with a carb before I take that step
Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I looked on that caspers website and couldnt find an extender for the IAT. I would like something clean instead of botched. I'm afraid if I put it in front where the air is coming in while I'm racing, It may do some weird stuff with the timing down track?
If it's reading real outside air temp all the time, then there will be less fluctuation down the track. And zero out any IAT timing in the normal operating range.

My IATs (stock location) will drop around 10 degrees from start to finish of a 1/4 mile run. And you can just watch the wideband AFR going rich as the pass goes on. If you can get it to read outside air temp all the time fuel will be much closer during the run, so less chance of error based deviation from run to run.

http://speed-eng.com/store/exhaust-c...47b2e037b0bd34

There are 3 different length IAT extensions about 10 or so item down that page.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
If it's reading real outside air temp all the time, then there will be less fluctuation down the track. And zero out any IAT timing in the normal operating range.

My IATs (stock location) will drop around 10 degrees from start to finish of a 1/4 mile run. And you can just watch the wideband AFR going rich as the pass goes on. If you can get it to read outside air temp all the time fuel will be much closer during the run, so less chance of error based deviation from run to run.

http://speed-eng.com/store/exhaust-c...47b2e037b0bd34

There are 3 different length IAT extensions about 10 or so item down that page.

great thanks! looks like the 24" will be plenty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SD tuning for bracket racing