Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans Am Fog lights- How do I get them apart?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trans Am Fog lights- How do I get them apart?

What is the best way to take the plastic lens off of the black housing on the fogs without cracking it of course..
I basically need just the black housing without the clear lens cover..

I thought about putting it in the oven to heat up but I was afraid it would melt it and didn't even know if the lens was held on by glue..

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

You are going to hear people with small hands like that guy on the BK commercial say you can do it from the top but I have normal hands and NO way! So, you have to take those panels off of the bottom and go up from there, I even had to unbolt the mtg brackets and slide the entire unit out of the bumper cover, its really tight in there. Are you sure those lens are plastic? I though they were glass?
Attached Thumbnails Trans Am Fog lights- How do I get them apart?-piaa880-007.jpg   Trans Am Fog lights- How do I get them apart?-piaa880-008.jpg   Trans Am Fog lights- How do I get them apart?-piaa880-006.jpg  
Old 09-28-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just needs to be put in the oven, it's only silicone holding it on. Just follow the guide for the Whistler mod, it's the same process.
Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Are you sure those lens are plastic? I though they were glass?
98-02's are plastic, 93-97's are glass.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
You are going to hear people with small hands like that guy on the BK commercial say you can do it from the top but I have normal hands and NO way! So, you have to take those panels off of the bottom and go up from there, I even had to unbolt the mtg brackets and slide the entire unit out of the bumper cover, its really tight in there. Are you sure those lens are plastic? I though they were glass?
I can change the lights and take the lights out.. The light I am testing my project on is already off the car and the bracket and everything.
They are plastic.
Thanks for help and pics!

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
Just needs to be put in the oven, it's only silicone holding it on. Just follow the guide for the Whistler mod, it's the same process.

98-02's are plastic, 93-97's are glass.
That is what I figured. I couldn't see anywhere where it looked like glue so I was not sure..

Are the 93-97 the same lights? I would very much like to replace the plastic lens with a glass lens.. If they are not the same, do you or anybody have any suggestions for making it glass? I do not want to mess with the light dispersion too much either.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
That is what I figured. I couldn't see anywhere where it looked like glue so I was not sure..

Are the 93-97 the same lights? I would very much like to replace the plastic lens with a glass lens.. If they are not the same, do you or anybody have any suggestions for making it glass? I do not want to mess with the light dispersion too much either.
Yep, 93-97's are exactly the same, only the bracket is slightly different in that it extends out a bit further. The lenses are completely interchangeable, I've done it myself. There are no ill effects on the light dispersion at all, the glass lens was designed for the same housing. The only way you could make any change to it is by removing the metal shield (to prevent glare for oncoming drivers) that rests above where the bulb sits, removing it would let the light shine up higher. Your best bet in finding some glass lenses is to check out local junkyards. The same style fog lights were used on several cars, such as:

Bonneville's:

Grand Prix's:

Grand Am's:

Probably several other vehicles also use them. The only differences between them all is just the mounting bracket, the light housing itself is the same. The glass lenses are probably only going to be on the older models, say 93-97. Might be a little earlier or later on some other models though.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
Yep, 93-97's are exactly the same, only the bracket is slightly different in that it extends out a bit further. The lenses are completely interchangeable, I've done it myself. There are no ill effects on the light dispersion at all, the glass lens was designed for the same housing. The only way you could make any change to it is by removing the metal shield (to prevent glare for oncoming drivers) that rests above where the bulb sits, removing it would let the light shine up higher. Your best bet in finding some glass lenses is to check out local junkyards. The same style fog lights were used on several cars, such as:

Probably several other vehicles also use them. The only differences between them all is just the mounting bracket, the light housing itself is the same. The glass lenses are probably only going to be on the older models, say 93-97. Might be a little earlier or later on some other models though.
AH, thanks a lot! MUCH appreciated info..
Are any of the housing on ^^^ said cars metal or anything.. Wondering if I could use one of those so a HID bulb would not melt the housing.
Thanks a lot!!!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
AH, thanks a lot! MUCH appreciated info..
Are any of the housing on ^^^ said cars metal or anything.. Wondering if I could use one of those so a HID bulb would not melt the housing.
Thanks a lot!!!!!
Don't believe any of the housings were ever made out of metal, out least from what I've seen. You shouldn't have to worry about melting the housing, HID's actually run cooler than halogen bulbs do since they put out less heat.

Glad to help man.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sweet, thanks for all the info!!! Really spread up my project and made it easier!!!

Quick Reply: Trans Am Fog lights- How do I get them apart?