Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing Trans Am side skirts on a Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Trans Am side skirts on a Firebird

Hey, I have a problem. I bought some TA side skirts and just figured they would bolt up maybe drill some hole on the bottom of the car. But when i got them I realized they had the holes on the bottom. No problem I can just drill up the bottom. But the way they attach to the rocker panel is by clips and two big bolts. And don't forget about those clips that snap in to the rocker panels that I DONT have holes for!!! Please somebody shed some light on this. I just don't see how it can be done with out drilling a hole into the fender and rocker panel which I will not do.

Last edited by pemberton; 09-30-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

if you dont want to drill holes your only option is tho use self drilling screws on the bottom with some silicone to keep out water and good ole 3m double sided tape along the top
Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
if you dont want to drill holes your only option is tho use self drilling screws on the bottom with some silicone to keep out water and good ole 3m double sided tape along the top
That's exactly what I did, minus the silicone.

Just have to pop off the clips along the sides, clean the whole surface really good, wipe it down with alcohol afterwords, then apply a strip of 3M double sided adhesive tape along the whole thing. Then do the same to the rocker panel. Have a friend help hold the side skirt up to the car, once you have it in place, use self tapping screws from the bottom (you're going to need washers as well since the holes are so big. Once those are in the side skirt will be completely supported, pull the strip off the other side of the tape, push up against the rocker panel, and viola.

The only thing you need to be concerned with is the center portion of the side skirt where it bows in. That part wants to bulge out and not stick. I solved this by running a small rope through the interior (close the doors afterwords), up under the car, and tied it tight up against the side skirt. Provided enough pressure to help hold the center up against the car. Then I just let it sit for 24hrs before removing the rope. Wanted to be absolutely positive that it had plenty of time to fully adhere before I removed the rope. I'm sure less than half that amount of time would have been sufficient though.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Launching!

Has anybody drilled holes in theirs? I was looking for some type of write-up on were to drill but I might try the 3m tape. I just think it will come off over time. Blind how has yours held up any closeup pics? I think Ill have a small gap on the top of the side skirt unless I bolt it in.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Launching!

So Blind you ground off the 2 bolts that are on the front of the side skirt as well as removed the clips? I am just afraid that the 3m tape won't hold it, then I don't have any bolts to try to bolt it up!

Last edited by pemberton; 09-30-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those two bolts are just a bracket that comes off of the side skirt. The 3M tape will be fine. Once you put self tapping screws in through the bottom, the entire side skirt is fully supported. The only thing the tape really does is help hold it in plac e against the body. Mine has held up quite nicely, I don't have any close up pics, but you can see some pics in my FQuick. If you don't want to go that route, here's a nice writeup from a member on FTV6 on how to install them by drilling holes:
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=44602

I just simply chose not to go that route because if one ever happens to get broken, I don't want a bunch of holes along the side of my car.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
Those two bolts are just a bracket that comes off of the side skirt. The 3M tape will be fine. Once you put self tapping screws in through the bottom, the entire side skirt is fully supported. The only thing the tape really does is help hold it in plac e against the body. Mine has held up quite nicely, I don't have any close up pics, but you can see some pics in my FQuick. If you don't want to go that route, here's a nice writeup from a member on FTV6 on how to install them by drilling holes:
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=44602

I just simply chose not to go that route because if one ever happens to get broken, I don't want a bunch of holes along the side of my car.

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...0&postcount=10

Awww man, I thought that was a LS1 car..

Quick Reply: Installing Trans Am side skirts on a Firebird