Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron block OK as a stressed frame member?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Iron block OK as a stressed frame member?

I'm installing an iron block 6 liter into a malibu with custom engine mounts. they use a urethane leaf spring bushing to isolate vibrations. The crossmember is notched and I expect some twisting of the frame during suspension travel in the a-arm area where the engine mounts tie in. so should I tie the engine mount stands into the area near the upper a-arm mounts which will stop the frame flex, making the engine a stucturual frame member or will that break the sides out of the block?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just weld in some tubing to brace the frame?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

This kind of belongs in the suspension dept. Anyway if you expect twisting and movement why wouldn't you tie it in with some tubing?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

The engine has full truck accessories including a/c, and it's a turbo car. It will have forward cage struts and bracing from those struts to a-arm area. but I'm sure some forces will still be transmitted through motor mounts to the side of the block. I've seen a lot of dirt car blocks destroyed from wrecks breaking the mounts out of the side of the block. I guess my question is are gen III blocks much stronger in the mount area, is it safe to use the block as a structural member or am I much better off transferring as little stress to the side of the block as possible? G-bodies are very prone to wheel stands and although that's not my intention it will probably happen at some time.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered using all 6 of the mount holes on the side of the block? That would help distribute the force a little more.