Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start?

I have a 94 roller that I picked up. It's gutted so it is basically a blank canvas. I will be running it primarily on a 1/8th mile track. It already has BMR lca's, panhard bar and subframe connectors. I'm planning a vortec 355 and 350 turbo tranny. I guess my basic question is where to start. I'm pretty mechanical but not much car experience. I want to build the whole thing from the engine up. Are there any good books that cover building a car from start to finish?

Sorry for the rambling question, but appreciate any inputs.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not positive what engine family a vortec 355 falls under but on this website we're going to tell you to go with a LS family of motor.

The important questions are what are your goals are you trying to run a class or just a number?

budget and timeframe?

Any way you go your going to have to upgrade the rear to either a 12bolt or 9" so you could start their also. But the suspension was a good start.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Build from the back forward. Let me know if we can help. I would design it out, think about it and build the chassis and suspension to handle double.

Ask me how I know that.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

how far and fast are you willing to go, i started out only wanting to do stock style suspension with mine then i ended up backhalfing my ta do i need a 16 inch wide tire no but i would rather have more than i need when it comes to chassis wise, so decide what numbers your shooting for and we can help you out more and give suggestions. -tony-
Old 10-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Teching In

I would like it to run in the mid 7's in the eight mile, but since I will be bracket racing, consistancy is the key. I have a 350 block waiting to go to the machine shop, but nothing else for it yet. Planning a carbed 355 with a vortec top end (heads and intake).The car has the stock 10 bolt in it, but I'm planning on running that until it lets go. Would like to get the car down the track by mid next year, but time and money are both at a premium. I guess I'm mostly looking for a resource that says all the components that need to be there for a drag car.

Again, a pretty broad question. I guess I should spend some more time at the track looking over other peoples cars. Seems like when I look through a Summit of Jegs catalog, I see two more things that I didn't think about.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:53 PM
7 Second Club

first thing we do is get the motor positioned where you want it and then start with the main hoop.

make sure whatever welding your doing that the car is level and equally supported. motor postion and driver position is 2 pretty important things to have in mind when building a car.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:56 PM
7 Second Club

you can run a 7.50 with very little HP... just get the car light as you can... especially since it will help you with bracket racing.... a purpose built cheap 350 can get you 7.50 easy with the right chassis setup.