Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which springs should I get with blistein shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which springs should I get with blistein shocks

Hi

I ordered Blistein shocks (front and rear). My 98 trans am convertible is over 10 years old so it's time for new springs.

I want to keep the hight of the car the same (not loweed), but want better handeling.

My Ta in not a ws6. I did upgrade to 17" wheels.

Car is a weekend driver only but handeling needs to be improved

Thanks

Roman
Old 09-30-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check out the Strano springs. They do lower the car a little, but not so much that the tires are tucked into the fenders like other kits do. Looks like a factory ride height if you don't know better.

They will give you much better handling and performance.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rxrom
Hi

I ordered Blistein shocks (front and rear). My 98 trans am convertible is over 10 years old so it's time for new springs.

I want to keep the hight of the car the same (not lowered), but want better handling.

Thanks

Roman
Just because the car is 10 years old, it doesn't means the springs are shot, unless, of course, you've got 200,000 miles on it. I put a set of Eibachs on my '96 Z-28 when the car was a couple of months old, back in December of '95. They still work just fine. I'm sure the new shocks will provide the improvement you're looking for.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rxrom
Hi

I want to keep the hight of the car the same (not loweed), but want better handeling.

My Ta in not a ws6. I did upgrade to 17" wheels.

Car is a weekend driver only but handeling needs to be improved

Thanks

Roman
As said springs don't really "wear out" like other suspension components do. Youll want to replace them if the are sagging though, if not then look else where to improve handling.
Shocks will be the #1 biggest improvement because the factory ones are very lacking even brand new. If you want to keep the same height but still improve handling then look into some matching swaybars. Something like a 32mm front and a 19mm rear, or 35mm front and 21-22mm rear are good matching sets. Stranoparts.com for example has a really nice 35/22mm hollow swaybar set that Sam uses on his own car (which has won multiple SCCA events).
Old 09-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Default which springs

The original springs need to come out anyway for front shocks so I just thought to replace them. The look rusted but the car sits prety high
Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Clean up the stockers, spray 'em with some Rustoleum or similar semi-gloss black, and reinstall them with your Bilsteins. You should be happy with how your car rides and handles.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Clean up the stockers, spray 'em with some Rustoleum or similar semi-gloss black, and reinstall them with your Bilsteins. You should be happy with how your car rides and handles.

Good idea, but a little extra time cleaning and then painting with POR15 would give a longer lasting finish....
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Check out the Strano springs. They do lower the car a little, but not so much that the tires are tucked into the fenders like other kits do. Looks like a factory ride height if you don't know better.

They will give you much better handling and performance.
There is no way you could mistake a Strano car for being factory ride height. Does it look good? Hell yeah. Does it look factory height...hell no.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
There is no way you could mistake a Strano car for being factory ride height. Does it look good? Hell yeah. Does it look factory height...hell no.
Really??

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ore-after.html

If you didn't know F-bodies, you probably wouldn't even know that car is lowered. The wheels have a perfect gap with the fender wells, they don't tuck into the fenders like some other lowering kits.