Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Weird issue with UMI A-Arms and Koni's...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Weird issue with UMI A-Arms and Koni's...

Got my UMI K-member and A-arms installed recently, great quality by the way and great guys over there @ UMI to talk to. Anyways, this was the only issue that I had with the install and I'm not sure what the deal is. The pictures pretty much speak for themselves... I removed and re-installed the shock while moving the A-arm around multiple times but when I tighten it down it always lines the shock up crooked like this. The drivers side is fine and lines up perfect as you can see but the passengers side always ***** sideways. I'm beginning to wonder if the holes are just off? Any ideas? Maybe it's nothing but it doesn't seem to be sitting right which is why I wanted to ask...

Also, one other quick question, with the new spacer plates that they use the supplied bolts seem a little short, should I use a longer bolt and should there be a washer between the bolt head and the shock mount? One wasn't supplied so I was wondering if I needed one?

Thanks

Drivers side:

Passenger side:

Old 10-01-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, if the bolts seem a little short get longer ones and some washers to.
And as far as the spacers I don't think it'll make any difference if there a little crooked, but I would paint the spacers black since there IMO; an eye sore.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, if the bolts seem a little short get longer ones and some washers to.
And as far as the spacers I don't think it'll make any difference if there a little crooked, but I would paint the spacers black since there IMO; an eye sore.
Well that's what's bothering me is it's the actual shock that's sitting crooked. The spacer is square and straight. When I tighten it down the shock wants to twist around...
Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
When I tighten it down the shock wants to twist around...
Mine were the same way... UMI A-arms and Koni's. I think it's fine.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
Mine were the same way... UMI A-arms and Koni's. I think it's fine.
So yours sit a little funny too? I wouldn't have really thought anything of it except for that the drivers side sits perfect. And I would just feel more comfortable with both sides sitting down the same way.

Last edited by 98RedBird; 10-01-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the shock bolt holes in the control arm crocked or are the square pockets crocked?

From a performance or durability stand point I don't think it will be an issue. The bushing in the shock is there to handle some misalignment and shouldn't introduce any additional loading into the shock vs. being "square." It should perform fine.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
Are the shock bolt holes in the control arm crocked or are the square pockets crocked?

From a performance or durability stand point I don't think it will be an issue. The bushing in the shock is there to handle some misalignment and shouldn't introduce any additional loading into the shock vs. being "square." It should perform fine.
I don't know. I'm going to check that out when I get the car back next week. I'm having the engine bay painted right now. I wanted to check and make sure that the holes were drilled properly on the passenger side A-Arm (**** happens). That's the only thing that I can think of that would cause it to sit crooked like this.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

From the pictures it looks straight, if its off at all it is very minor and wouldn't be any issue. Since the car isn't aligned yet the A-Arm can be in angle, when they align the car they need to move the A-Arm which will shift the shock slightly. I don't see any issue and feel you would be fine.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 10-02-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

From the pictures it looks straight, if its off at all it is very minor and wouldn't be any issue. Since the car isn't aligned yet the A-Arm can be in angle, when they align the car they need to move the A-Arm which will shift the shock slightly. I don't see any issue and feel you would be fine.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

Okay Ryan,

So there shouldn't be any performance/durability issues then?

Also, should I use a longer bolt and a washer on the top? With the spacer plate the bolt seems short to me.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Weird issue with UMI A-Arms and Koni's...