Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header install... tap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question header install... tap?

i know ive seen threads about this before but i cant find any of them...
i finished a header install last night and fired it up to see how it would sound... i let it idle for a few seconds then gave it a lil gas only about 1500 rpms...
after that i started hearing this horrible tapping noise.. i read a while back that if the headers arent on good enough it can make a tap noise so today i went back and tightened all the header bolts. also took out all the spark plugs and put them back in thinking maybe one could be cross threaded and could still be loose. i buttoned everything back up and... still tapping but it doesnt seem as loud.. or thats just wish ful thinking..
what could it possibly be??
Old 10-01-2009, 12:36 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Y-pipe? AIR tubes? EGR?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Teching In

y pipe took a lil muscle to get in place but once there it bolted on fine. besides hitting the floor on the drivers side the noise is coming from the passenger side near or in the head so i wouldnt think the y pipe could be doing it... air tubes bolted on pretty good. EGR pipe i had to bend a bit to get on... going to try the block off plate provided with the headers and just take the EGR out and see if that helps..
Old 10-01-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exhaust leak?

Headers hitting k-member somewhere?
Old 10-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Teching In

pulled the EGR and blocked the pipe off on the header nothing changed... the clearance to the k member is pretty good. definately not tapping there.. could it possibly be the check valve on the air tube running to that side? i started pulling it off but the thing just wont budge and i dont want to pull it if its the problem. put a stethascope?(i dont know what u call it hope thats right) up to the head but it sounded farther away.

Last edited by sslaterz28; 10-01-2009 at 06:01 PM.