Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any1 make a rear plate remote cover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any1 make a rear plate remote cover?

I've seen a few different flip up front number plates, very cool.
Has anyone made a remote, flip up/down rear number plate cover..?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are you looking for to cover the plate? if thats the case i found a place online through a import site, ill look but around 400 bucks at a flip of a switch is smokes out the cover and you cant see anything and then flip the switch again and its clear.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

That sounds pretty cool......

I was kind of thinking just a (plastic type maybe?) cover that slides down to cover the plate at higher speeds.....
Old 10-02-2009, 04:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by taws6
That sounds pretty cool......

I was kind of thinking just a (plastic type maybe?) cover that slides down to cover the plate at higher speeds.....
that sounds kinda pointless. because not only will the cops nail you for speeding, they will nail you for no rear plate
Old 10-02-2009, 05:03 AM
11 Second Club

You're kinda screwed either way.. if you fly past a cop with a blurred out plate, that just means you better be ready to run away, or your just gonna get another fine.

But I haven't seen such a thing for the rear, only the one that 1slo camaro's talking about.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think that would be badass. Kind of like The Transporter
Old 10-02-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

This is what your guy are talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS1eW...1&feature=fvwp
Old 10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

^^ Yes it is. I believe it uses electrical current to somehow blur it out. I forget how it works, I saw that so long ago.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

yes thats what it is. ill find the website later tonight about to head out and put on my LCAs wooooo hoooooooooo
Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Rockstar

I know what he's gonna use it for. His location is England. He's gonna run stop lights and the cameras won't get his plates and that means no tickets in the mail.
That seems like a very handy use.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

If youre down to do it yourself you should just cut a rectangle the size of the plate(depth and length) right above the plate. Than insert a piece of metal that will fit inside it and be the height of the space of the license plate indention. Than you would have to figure out a mechanism that can lower it and bring it back up. Im sure this way would take a lot of time to create but it would be worth it in the end. Also you could paint the metal piece that covers the plate the color of your car or you could also customize it to say something awesome. Just thinking "out loud"6
Old 10-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

you can find a kit in the mini truck magazines......i think autoloc makes it
Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

for the mechanics of it you could use something similar to what the pop up headlights are. power on motor gives a full rotation (not sure how the geometry of it works but thats enough to put it in a position to lift and the switch it off puts in closed position)

or just a screw driven motor and a gear that has enough teeth on it to lift on one full rotation and the next one around lifts it back up (same premise as an electric airsoft gun)

but if he is off to block the plate from ticket cameras they used to sell a cover that you could only read the plate dead on if its at an angle its blurred out, not sure who made that though.

second thought is if you are in england i dont really imagine to many f bods over there so im not really sure it will matter you will probably be identifiable
Old 10-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

i was thinking about this as well paul but putting a show plate up
what ever it is cant be the same as yours

cant have 2 black ws6's going to shows speeding lol not that we do anything like that

for shows of course

and is a shame the front one does not cover on a switch was lucky i took my cover off today as i past a crash with loads of cops there and they all looked just as well i took the cover off i dont normaly
Old 10-02-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Lots of cameras, not many cops......

I'm not looking to outrun cops or make a gettaway, just dodge a few speeding tickets.
I roll with the front plate cover on, but the cops have never stoped me for that, but permantly removing the rear plate will be asking for problems. So occasional coverage would be advantages at certain times
Old 10-02-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by taws6
Lots of cameras, not many cops......

I'm not looking to outrun cops or make a gettaway, just dodge a few speeding tickets.
I roll with the front plate cover on, but the cops have never stoped me for that, but permantly removing the rear plate will be asking for problems. So occasional coverage would be advantages at certain times
I'm guessing there are repercussions for not paying the photo enforced tickets in England? From what I've been told and read, around here, you don't HAVE to pay them, because its the company that puts them up sending you the ticket, not the police. I know countless people who haven't paid them for years and no warrants or anything whatsoever. Its all pretty confusing...Don't matter to me though, I have yet to get one.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:44 AM
TECH Resident

Umm, I think they are enforcable, and failiure to pay can result in being summond back to court and the fine increased. If you fail to pay, prison can result, I believe.
However, when you pay the fine, the cops issue points against your licence (enough points and you lose your licence, insurance goes up etc).
Dont pay the fine and you'll get summoned to court.

Now, if you pay the fine, but overpay it by say, 1 pence (=2 cents), you've payed the fine (no court summons) but the paperwork is not finalised, so they send you a check for 1 pence. If you cash it, the paperwork is finalised, and your points issued, don't cash the check, the paperwork is not finalised, if you catch my drift........

You can also deny you were driving at the time of the offence, and fail to notify them of who was driving, but you get an additional charge of withholding information. The fine and points are still issued, (assuming there are no problems with the paperwork )

I'd just like to avoid the hastle, and hope I don't unknowingly speed in front of any cops who pull me over. Yea, I have the added offence of no rear plate, but my plates aren't legal anyway.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks...I'm pretty sure they don't go on your record around here, but that would be because the company is the one sending you the ticket or whatnot. At least thats what I've been told.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Launching!

That overpay trick is a lie!! Snopes.com tried it and they still got the points, they also checked all state laws and even if you overpay by $1000, the state will send you a check good for 60 days, after that its theirs.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe so, just what I herd....

Where abouts you from squee?

Anyone got any ideas what I could use for the mecanism?

Quick Reply: Any1 make a rear plate remote cover?