Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Cage ruling for NHRA

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Cage ruling for NHRA

What was the final verdict on the T-top cars. Full cage or will a 6 point pass.
I will be running just a little bit faster than a 10.99 Trying to find out before the wolfe sale ends. Thanks for the help
Old 12-02-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straight from the 2004 rules for E.T. classes, word for word.

ROLL BAR
Roll bar mandatory in all cars (including T-tops) running 11.00 (7.00 1/8mile) to 11.99 (7.49 18 mile), in covertible running 11.00 to 13.99... snip

ROLL CAGE
Roll cage mandatory in cars running 10.99 or quicker or any car exceeding 135 MPH. In full-bodied cars, with unaltered firewall, floor, and body (from firewall rearward, wheeltubs permitted), running between 10.00 and 10.99 roll bar permitted in place of roll cage. In convertibles running 10.99 or quicker or exceeding 135 MPH, roll cage mandatory.

Most fall into the un-modded firewall, and can run a bar till 10.00
Old 12-02-2003, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sweet!

I may finally be NHRA legal next season
Old 12-03-2003, 02:20 AM
8 Second Club

T-top is considered convertible
Old 12-03-2003, 06:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rick C5
T-top is considered convertible
LMAO... Here we go again.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
LMAO... Here we go again.
See that is what I was wondering. Is a t-top car considered a full bodied car or is it considered a convertible.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by y2khawk

ROLL BAR
Roll bar mandatory in all cars (including T-tops) running 11.00 (7.00 1/8mile) to 11.99 (7.49 18 mile), in covertible running 11.00 to 13.99... snip

Rick, did you miss this??

That's a copy, word for word. The "including T-tops" is printed right in the rules. Kinda hard to mis-understand that.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Rick, did you miss this??

That's a copy, word for word. The "including T-tops" is printed right in the rules. Kinda hard to mis-understand that.

I think he has that part figured out, but he said he would be in the 10's and the roll cage rule is doesnt flat out say t-tops. That is the cloudy area he is trying to figure out. t-tops ....full bodied or convertible????
Old 12-03-2003, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

well, unless explicitly stated usually means not required.

I'd personally say, since T-tops are explicity singled out as NOT a vert in the bar rulling, it is the same for a cage.

Why not email your local tech inspector? My local one is very friendly, and more than happy to answer questions.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

In full-bodied cars, with unaltered firewall, floor, and body (from firewall rearward, wheeltubs permitted), running between 10.00 and 10.99 roll bar permitted in place of roll cage.
SO a 6point cage will do

next question, what is different from a 6 point roll bar and a cage, is it two extra bars in the front or are there more i dont see.
how do i get legal to go past 9.99's, other then chasis cert
Old 12-03-2003, 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

a cage has a full roof halo loop, and the bars that come down along the a-pillars to the floor. Also requires the main hoop supports that head toward the tunnel/inner subframe.

sub 10's=full cert'd cage, license, neck collar, multi-layer jacket and pants, gloves, etc.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

do you need all these points on the cage like the bar that would go across the dash?
[COLOR=Black]

or can it be like this with just the side front bars and top bars welded on?
and can the side bars have bends in them?

Last edited by smokinHawk; 12-03-2003 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:43 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have a factory firewall you do not need the cross bar and can just have the 10 points without that. Most of us put it in anyway. It just depends on what you want to do after that.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
I think he has that part figured out, but he said he would be in the 10's and the roll cage rule is doesnt flat out say t-tops. That is the cloudy area he is trying to figure out. t-tops ....full bodied or convertible????
Thank you that is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for being able to understand CamaroCain. As for some of you smarta$$es next time soemone asks a question make sure you try to understand exactly where they are coming from before you post your cute little remark. Thanks for your time.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

take it as you will, but that's what's printed
Old 12-03-2003, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

take it as you will, but that's what's printed
Well the last I heard they were trying to classify the t-top cars as a convertible. That is why I made this specific post. Sure you stated the rules but it did not say anything about a t-top car. I am not just going to assume. I wanted the awnser in black and white. with no gray area. If I would have taken that and bought a 6 point and found out later that they actually did consider t-top cars as convertibles I would be screwed. So now that the awnser has been given I will go order my 6 point. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Default roll bars

Originally Posted by DEVIATE
Thank you that is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for being able to understand CamaroCain. As for some of you smarta$$es next time soemone asks a question make sure you try to understand exactly where they are coming from before you post your cute little remark. Thanks for your time.
the right way to find out what you guys need to no is contact your division headquarters be it nhra/ihra they are the ones who make the rules ,or contact a competent shop who build cars ,also a lot of guys are calling roll bars cages this is also wrong [this is quite common]so when some one calls for quote first we have to find out what they are talking about :drivepro
heres a paragraph i made for the fast ls1 site [it is also post in ls1 tech a few times as people asked ] alot of people are useing the wrong terminoligy] ,a cage is a cage and a roll bar is a roll bar[a roll bar can have 5pts 6pts 7pts and8 pts,a cage can have 6 pt ,8,10 12pts] a lot of people call up for cages and their trying to ask for roll bars its a common mistake
,most cages are actualy are 6pt unless 2 diagnal bars go to tunnel or frame connectors[before everyone jumps on me the 2 side bars usually go to the front uprights so unless you have the 2 diags like i said and they are mandatory when a cage is put on plates[pge 209 of rule book see diag. read D] if its a chassis car[ ie chevelle,malibu,corvetteanything with a full frame under it]the cage then has to be mounted to the chassis and dosnt require the 2 diags to tunnel. what else is needed are ,a window net,padding anywhere drivers helmet can contact[pge 203], and the instaler should put tabs for required shoulder harness [so its bolted to spine bar and cannot slip off you in case of accident]and if you go faster than 9.99 a chassis cert that should cover the basics hope this helps. bob
@ nrc motorsports deviate , this paragraph is just there so people can see difference thnx bov

:
Old 12-05-2003, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info NRC. I appreciate the in depth details. I called around the tulsa area and had found no awnsers. So I called Wolfe Racecraft as well and they didnt even know. So I figured what better place than to post a question here. I have intentions of hitting some of the bigger events next year and our track is not a NHRA track. So I really didnt know who all to ask. But thanks for your help. Now I will be legal next year for competition.