Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What is the fastest way of removing the trans on my Z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the fastest way of removing the trans on my Z?

The least time consuming. So far the driveshaft is out and the wires have been disconnected. Do I just put a tranny Jack under it and start undoing the bolts ?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having a lift is the least time consuming, but if you dont have that, your on the right direction.

Disconnect the M/C line w/ 2 flat head screw drivers, take the bolts out from the trans to bell housing, also given the TQ arm has been removed from the equation.

use the jack and get her down.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

I don't have to take any of the exhaust off do I, it's on a lift. Do I use a pry bar to back it off the engine?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:16 PM
CARTEK Racing

you will have to take down the y-pipe or x-pipe which ever you have to be able to move the trans out.

After you remove the trans support brace you can angle it down enough to be able to unbolt the 4 bolts that hold in the shifter of you can take it out from the top, your choice.

Once you do that, unbolt the trans from the bell housing, move strait back and done.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exhuast useually do not get in the way. Have the trans supported once the TQ arm and DS are off, as well as the cross member. Sometimes you need to crack loose a trans the 1st time. be careful as the trans itself will be running the input shaft into the crank and thats why you need the support on the tail shaft and the trans needs to be level so it wont bind.

It;s been a while since I have had a stockexhaust on the car so you will nee dto look at it.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Ok so the stock clutch is seated pretty well it's becoming a PITA to remove. I wish I had my camera and document this, but I don't have it. And I am not allowed in the shop while my car is being taken care of, damn manager