Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Pitting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pitting?

I bought some used chrome y2k vette wheels for the z28. They were caked with all sorts of sh*t on the barrel so I didn't have to much time to look them over. Plus it was a hell of a deal. So i'm cleaning them on the inside with simple green and a nylon bristled brush and man do these things have pitting. I don't see anything wrong with the outer side, almost perfect. Now here's the question, how do you treat the pitting in the barrel to prevent it from spreading to the front? Does this stuff spread like rust or is it isolated? Is there a way to remove the powdery oxidation with say a steel bristeled brush or will it peel the chrome? Can you seal it? I tried searching but there were just a few posts about pitting fixes. Thanks for your replies.
Paul

Last edited by AllThrottle4U; 10-04-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-2009, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Can anyone help me or has this subject been beaten to death?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

its not rust, im fairly sure it doesnt spread. dont worry too much about the inside. if the outside is fine, then thats all you have to worry about.

FYI, dont use polish on the outside too much. that will actually cause pitting and take away the finish. if it needs it, and ONLY if it actually needs a polish, then do it. afterwards, clean them with whatever brake dust remover you use (not brake kleen), then use wax on the chrome. regular, average wax. doesnt have to be carnuba, cleaner, or a big name brand. all you need on the rims, after theyre clean and shiny, is a covering to protect from brake dust. itll be 10x easier to remove afterwards.

on my original WS6 rims, and now my black powdercoated ones, all i use is old green turtle wax. goes on thick and heavy, makes a nice shine, and keeps a good coating on the rim so the dust doesnt etch into the metal. the more you polish, the more coating youre taking off the rim.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Good advice! Regular wax will do the job. I also happen to use a product called Rim-Ice. Expensive but really nice.
Don't worry about the inside. It is very common. If you want to, purely for cosmetic reasons, you can smooth out (sand) the insides and paint them a proper shade of gray or silver. Just make sure you protect the front side and that there is no overspray either.