Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension for 2001 SS convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension for 2001 SS convertible

Ive saved up enough money for some koni 4/4, what i want to do is buy every thing i need in one go rather than having to stare at individual parts as they get delivered!!!!!

My question is, i want to get the aforementioned shocks, lowering springs (least amount of drop possible - i might even keep the stock springs , i havent decided yet) do you guys think i will need to get new poly bushings as well, is there anything i need to be aware of the fact that my car is a convertible? Plus any chance of a package deal Sam
Old 10-02-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get the 4/4's and move the lower spring mount on the front koni's to the lower setting and do the hose mod to the rear. It will give you maybe a half in of drop and will ride great. I've got 4/4's with Sams Springs on my car and I love them. I wouldn't mess with poly bushings unless your stockers are wore out. I mean you can get some, but be prepaid to grease them about once a month.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since you are getting the koni 4/4 shocks you could use your stock springs and put the fronts on the lower perch setting(3/4" drop in front) and do the heater hose mod for the rear shocks (1/2" drop).That would give you the least amount of lowering and still give you a really good ride.That's what I did.Or you could get Strano lowering springs for a 1.2" drop. Strano hollow sway bars
might be next.

You forgot to mention what your goals are: canyon carving/handling,drag racing?What would you you like to do with it?

Last edited by transwiz; 10-02-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Sorry, forgot to mention i want a car handles in the corners, not to worried about the drag strip. Heater hose mod - ill have to research that!!! I was thinking about sams spring, im sure i can live with an inch lower, i just worry about the exhaust ive got longtubes, ory and a rumbler
Old 10-03-2009, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I chose to do the lower perch/heater hose mod to my car so I would have more clearance for my longtubes.The heater hose mod is where you remove the rear rubber spacers on the top of the springs and feed 15" of heater hose on the top of the coils.Strano lowering springs are really good.The ride is a little stiff for my tastes.I would look into his hollow sway bars, they make a huge difference.I would do them next.Also some lower control arms.Why don't you talk to Sam Strano and see what he has to say.He is a really good guy and won't sell you stuff you don't need.

Read the sticky at the top of this section it shows the heater hose mod step by step.

Last edited by transwiz; 10-03-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Teching In

How much of a difference do you think there is between the convertible and the coupe with regards to handling? I know there is more flex, i just hope this wont become more prevalent with a decent suspension. Hell, anything will be an improvement to what ive got right now, for a car with only 56000 miles it drives like a meandering boat down the freeway!!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Anybody?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

i dont have an exact answer on the differene in handling between the coupe/vert but if you buy some SFC it will make a big difference since the vert is missing that added strength. ill show you what i did to my suspension which would be good for you.

SFC, Springs/Shocks, LCAs, LCABs (Lower control arm brackets), Phb (panhard bar)

though the only thing necessary when you lower your car is the phb so that you can re-center the rear after it is lowered. i decided to get the lcas and lcabs to help traction since the rear of the car is dropped which throws off the angle of the lcas
Old 10-07-2009, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

SFC's were the first mod to my vert and was well worth it. It feels like a totally different car. Heres mine with Sams Springs. Wheels are 17/9.5's and 17/11's

Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Like mentioned above SFC's will make your car feel like a complete different vehicle. They will eliminate a lot of flex and help with weight transfer. And you mentioned about changing to poly bushings! That would be a really good upgrade as well seeing how poly bushings hold up better then rubber. And if you just upgraded to a aftermarket set of lower control arms and pan hard bar it will also eliminate all the flexing through the control arms and increase your traction performance. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...820bamnbljcra1

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

It's a little premature to be talking about pacakge deals when we haven't hammered out what you need or want...

And that's not something I like to do via e-mail because it's just too vague. You don't seem to care about lowering it much, if at all. You can certainly keep your stock springs if you wish, and with Koni's still get a some drop (say 1/2"), someone else mentioned that too.

I *think* based on what I see here we want shocks and sway bars, but not springs. Again, you might want other things, and I'd be happy to discuss other parts you might be wondering about if you like. The phone number is in my sig.... feel free to call me.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by skewba98z28
SFC's were the first mod to my vert and was well worth it. It feels like a totally different car. Heres mine with Sams Springs. Wheels are 17/9.5's and 17/11's

Thats a sweet ride you got there!! To be quite honest, ANYTHING im sure will be a hell of an improvement over what i have at the moment. Ive owned the car for 4 years now and ive decided enough is enough !!!!

And Sam i will be calling you when i get the chance
Old 10-07-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by actionhank99
i want a car handles in the corners
Call Sam, he'll point you in the right direction!

My Strano equipped car honestly drives like it's on rails. I think it will be unbelievable once I get some decent tires on it!
Old 10-08-2009, 05:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by actionhank99
How much of a difference do you think there is between the convertible and the coupe with regards to handling? I know there is more flex, i just hope this wont become more prevalent with a decent suspension. Hell, anything will be an improvement to what ive got right now, for a car with only 56000 miles it drives like a meandering boat down the freeway!!!!
i know the "meandering boat" feeling... you're making a lane change at 90mph on a sweeping curve over a hill on a stock convertible ss suspension and you get the feeling that some upgrades are in order.

after the konis, i agree you'll probably want subframe connectors and sway bars (i went with solid chrome moly bars but probably should have gone with strano's 35mm hollow front bar). if you want to really feel those front tires plant into a corner, i'd also recommend a shock tower brace.

at a bare minimum i highly recommend subframe connectors.

Quick Reply: Suspension for 2001 SS convertible