Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster break in questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Monster break in questions...

A few questions for fellow Monster clutch users.

From the get go, this thing has been hard to push in. For the most part, I don't mind it. I have the 3.5, but I'm guessing the PP is more or less the same for the clutches.

Did you notice your clutch get easier to push over the break-in period? (a distinction between my calf got bigger or it gets easier)

Did it get easier after the break-in?

Which master are you running?

So far so good for me, I'm 125 miles in, its stiff as hell still, no chatter, but in traffic "idle style launches" usually end with on/off style results. For passengers, its not pleasant and from the outside looks the equivalent of standard noob. The only way I can do a nice launch is to basically slip it a good amount. Breaking the idle launch habit is tough after driving this thing for 125k miles the stock way...
Old 10-03-2009, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pedal was only a little stiffer then stock (level 6 overkill)... Im 400mi in on the break in miles and it still feels the same... Im still running the stock GM MC though. The clutch is definitely like a light switch... Its ON or OFF. Im sure people think that im a manual noob when i attempt to take off from a stop light.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

My pedal was Noticably harder than stock, but my stock clutch was so worn out it was ridiculous. Over the course of the last 23K miles, it seams to have eased up some, but it is still quite a bit heavier than stock. I drove a friends stock GTO a while back and just about put the clutch pedal through the floor. It will grow on you though. I love mine. The car is at SNL now getting a level 4 and a Tick M/C, as well as a couple of other mods.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

Yeah, it is all WHO you ask. I got teh Level 6 installed in FunFormula's car (above) and was like WOW, this clutch is just like stock, REAL EASY/SOFT.

Well, he finally drives it, and is like "ARE YOU OT OF YOUR MIND?????" That thig is pretty damn heavy!

I am like, HUH???

Well, keep i mind, that I drive a Cummins 1 ton that has a 6 speed in it, with a heavy duty aftermarket clutch. So, I let FunFormula drive it, and he is like HOLY ****!! Well, he tells me, after driving that thing for so long, I guess ANYTHING would feel light to you

So, even teh Level 6 feels like a stocker to me!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a level 6.5; it's not too bad for a beffy aftermarket clutch. You will get used to it. It should lighten up a little bit.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

I'm about 150 miles into my break in process. Engagement has gotten smoother if I stick to rev style launches where I blip the throttle and kinda engage it into a mini 1400 rpm clutch slip and dump essentially. If I try to launch at idle it's still an on/off affair which bucks the car like a manual noob. Old habits are tough to break, but I guess this is the best way to break it in.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

You get used to driving it that way. That is exactly how I drive mine, and I actually kind of enjoy it (although, that may be why I still get a little chatter from time to time). I imagine that with the new clutch setup and a light weight flywheel, I will have to give it a little more gas still to get it moving, but like I said, I don't mind it too much. At least you know that the clutch is not going to slip on you when you need it.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SladeX
to rev style launches where I blip the throttle and kinda engage it into a mini 1400 rpm clutch slip and dump essentially. .
When i drove FunFormula (Level 6) car, what you jsut said, is what I would do, and worked great. 1400-1600 RPM, quick release on teh pedal (but not to quick, or to slow) and after awhile, was starting to get teh hang of it (that is, before I had to hand teh keys back over to him
Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

My stage III has a stock feel, always has even from day 1. Only thing I noticed on break-in was the engagement point coming up. That and chatter going away.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

the engagement point isn't moving on me, its starting to grab around the half way point and full release is near the top of the pedal. The pedal sits about 3/4 of an inch lower than the brake pedal and I'm roughly 6.5 turns out.

I had full release at 4.5 turns, but was nowhere near my cruise switch. The LS7 had me at 7 turns to reach the pedal + touch the switch. I know it's not overextending the slave at this point as the other slave I pulled was nowhere near being overextended.

Quick Reply: Monster break in questions...