Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB AGX vs Koni's to pair with my Strano springs???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default KYB AGX vs Koni's to pair with my Strano springs???

I have never had the pleasure of owning either shock mentioned. I am tossing the Hal QA1's and BMR springs in favor of something more suited to what i prefer to do with the car.

I really don't see the 1/4 mile that much anymore and am building the suspension for a daily driver/road course mix.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

The KYBs are cheaper, and ive never heard anything bad about them, but also don't know too many people with them either.
or

The koni's which everyone always raves about.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm sure every opinion on this question will agree that Koni's are the best....especially with the Strano springs
Old 10-04-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check with Sam. I have Koni's on my D/D and I like them.

Bill
Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Im having trouble concentrating on your question... your avatar......

Anyways, I have the KYB and like them.. will probably upgrade down the road but I am happy with them. BMR springs.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

if you can afford koni's there's no question. do it once, do it right.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

+2. If you budget permits Koni's are among the best, purchased mine from Sam and he provided great customer service. Give Sam a call - he will steer you in the right direction.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive had both the KYB AGX's and the Koni's. The difference between them is "night and day". Koni's have noticeably a better ride. Im glad I spent the money on them and I not have a lifetime warranty, no more buying shocks for me!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

koni's are the only way to go. I had KYB AGX and one of them went out after having them a week and KYB wouldn't warranty because the car has aftermarket springs. The next day I ordered my koni's and they are great with the strano springs.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Not that the other opinions don't matter, because they do--a lot. But the most telling here are those that have had both. They've seen both shocks back to back and are both telling you Koni over AGX.

That's not saying AGX's aren't better than stock for springs, they are.... But I promise you that if these guys, or I, felt the AGX's were even 85% as good for the price difference we'd tell you as much.

You are comparing shocks that are as different as a Cobalt to a Corvette.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Not that the other opinions don't matter, because they do--a lot. But the most telling here are those that have had both. They've seen both shocks back to back and are both telling you Koni over AGX.

That's not saying AGX's aren't better than stock for springs, they are.... But I promise you that if these guys, or I, felt the AGX's were even 85% as good for the price difference we'd tell you as much.

You are comparing shocks that are as different as a Cobalt to a Corvette.
Thanks, i just didn't know of anyone with them and wanted a quick opinion. I knew the Koni's are where its at.

Besides i can easily offset the Koni price by pulling the Hal QA1's off the car.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the koni's.They kick ***,you won't be sorry.They are worth every penny if you can afford them.They are the best,bar none.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went straight from stock to hotchkis springs/koni shocks, and all i can tell you is the car is PLANTED, corners amazing, and its very responsive. but even with all of that the ride quality and feel is not compromised at all. so not only does it handle well, it is also a pleasant ride.i dont always believe this term but in this case you do get what you pay for.

i bought my stuff used so if i were to have bought knew i would have went with the strano springs, but i got too good of a deal on everything to pass it up. plus the hotchkis springs from what i have read are pretty close to stranos.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Konis. My dad had KYBs on his 68 camaro and hated them. I am using Koni/Strano set up on my car.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
Ive had both the KYB AGX's and the Koni's. The difference between them is "night and day". Koni's have noticeably a better ride. Im glad I spent the money on them and I not have a lifetime warranty, no more buying shocks for me!
excactly everything he said is the same thing I say.

had both and konis >>>> kyb's

Quick Reply: KYB AGX vs Koni's to pair with my Strano springs???