Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trashed my brand new Monster slave... ARG

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trashed my brand new Monster slave... ARG

Just got my new Tick Stage II T56 and Monster clutch installed along with Tick Master and bleeder. All went great, bled the lines then fired it up. Instantly lost pedal pressure and started leaking fluid from in the bell housing. So we pull the transmission back out and the slave was shredded. The factory slave has the throwout bearing attached. The Monster unit is seperate. Well it got left out. So the pressure plate forks just spun and chewed up the plastic slave.

Felt like an idiot! Well its back together, the Tick adj master, and transmission and Monster clutch feel great so far (10 miles) and also the MGW shifter ROCKS
Old 10-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by formulaon18s
Just got my new Tick Stage II T56 and Monster clutch installed along with Tick Master and bleeder. All went great, bled the lines then fired it up. Instantly lost pedal pressure and started leaking fluid from in the bell housing. So we pull the transmission back out and the slave was shredded. The factory slave has the throwout bearing attached. The Monster unit is seperate. Well it got left out. So the pressure plate forks just spun and chewed up the plastic slave.

Felt like an idiot! Well its back together, the Tick adj master, and transmission and Monster clutch feel great so far (10 miles) and also the MGW shifter ROCKS
yikes.. i think you can just use a f-body slave as a direct replacement and swap the lines..

Did it come seprate or you seperated it to do measurments?

I have one brand new for sale if
Old 10-03-2009, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Im a little lost.. I put a monster stg 3 in my car a few weeks back and don't remember messing with the throwout bearing...? Just swapped the slave for the replacement and put it back together..
Old 10-04-2009, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Magnet
Im a little lost.. I put a monster stg 3 in my car a few weeks back and don't remember messing with the throwout bearing...? Just swapped the slave for the replacement and put it back together..

The "Monster" bearing is not attached to thier slave, when installing I guess you have to bolt the slave onto the trans, then slide the bearing over the input shaft and connect it some how onto the clutch side of the slave.

The slave I took out, and the parts store slave that I had to go buy both have the bearing attached to the slave as a whole unit.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

The "Monster" bearing is not attached to thier slave, when installing I guess you have to bolt the slave onto the trans, then slide the bearing over the input shaft and connect it some how onto the clutch side of the slave.

The slave I took out, and the parts store slave that I had to go buy both have the bearing attached to the slave as a whole unit.

Uhhh, not sure what happened, but I can assure you the slave/TOB are teh same unit/come attached. Did you take any pics? As, #1, Monster does NOT make a slave. It is teh SAME slave GM uses, which is made by "AP" so it is NOT different than any other slave that you would buy out there. So, not sure what you came across/did????

Originally Posted by Magnet

You are correct. The OP has some type of "weird situation" going on. As I said above, Monster does NOT make their slave, they use teh one made by "AP" which is teh same slave used by GM. So, not sure what is up with OP?????
Old 10-04-2009, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Well Im not good at posting pics as seen by no sig pics, But I bought the Monster Stage 2 deluxe clutch kit which comes with a slave. I installed the slave and put the car together then took it back apart due to the leak. The slave was shredded so I grab the old slave to compare. The old one has a bearing permanatly attached on the clutch side, the Monster "supplied unit" does not. I see no bearing "carnage" so I go back to the box that my parts were in and there under a bunch of packing material is a bearing laying in the bottom of the box.

So, I was either supposed to install the bearing onto the slave myself or I had a defective part. Not sure.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

If this was a defective piece and there is a chance of recouping lost money, I can find someone to help me post pics.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Well Im not good at posting pics as seen by no sig pics, But I bought the Monster Stage 2 deluxe clutch kit which comes with a slave. I installed the slave and put the car together then took it back apart due to the leak. The slave was shredded so I grab the old slave to compare. The old one has a bearing permanatly attached on the clutch side, the Monster "supplied unit" does not. I see no bearing "carnage" so I go back to the box that my parts were in and there under a bunch of packing material is a bearing laying in the bottom of the box.

So, I was either supposed to install the bearing onto the slave myself or I had a defective part. Not sure.
Well, what you found was teh PILOT bearing, NOT the TOB.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:09 AM
FormerVendor

If this was a defective piece and there is a chance of recouping lost money, I can find someone to help me post pics.
If you have a defective part, then you need to either post pics, or send it back and Monster will send a new one. However, I believe you are talking about teh PILOT bearing you found, and NOT teh TOB.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

I'll try to get some posted, you could be right.

I "thought" the pilot bearing (1?" dia) what was what the input shaft goes into that has to be installed in the back of the crank

I "thought" the TOB (2.5?" dia) is what goes between the PP fingers and the Slave that is usually factory installed on the slave.

If I'm wrong on those two I appologize for my ignorance. This is my first time dealing with a T56 other than the shifting gears.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 AM
FormerVendor

I'll try to get some posted, you could be right.

I "thought" the pilot bearing what was what the input shaft goes into that has to be installed in the back of the crank

I "thought" the TOB is what goes between the PP fingers and the Slave that is usually factory installed on the slave.

If I'm wrong on those two I appologize for my ignorance. This is my first time dealing with a T56 other than the shifting gears.

Well, what you "think" IS correct. Pilot bearing is located in teh back of crankshaft. TOB is located together (should be) with teh slave. Slides over teh input shaft, and it is what actually touches the PP fingers.

But again, if it was seperate (the TOB from slave) then someting happened to it, as I KNOW (remember, I am a dealer for Monster, and have sold/installed more than a few) and they come attached as one unit.

And again, they are NOT made by Monster, they are made by AP, but they ARE meant to come apart if you want them to (rather easily I might add). And in fact, if you measure for a shim, teh rule of thumb is to pull teh spring off teh slave and bottom it out and get your reading there (whole nother story, sorry)

Get us pics if you can....

You can send them to my email if you want, and I can post them up for you if you can't????

edit:
here is my email if you want to send:

derrick@morrismotorsports.net
Old 10-04-2009, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Pic email sent.

In the pic shows what I installed thinking it was a "whole" piece on the left and the bearing found later in the box is on the right.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

email, REsent to .net instead of .com lol. My bad
Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Tob

As stated earlier the slaves are all made by AP the only difference I have seen is that the G.M. has the G.M. part# laser etched in the back of the housing other than that they are identical and made by the same manufacturer. On both the G.M. and the one you buy at the parts store the throw out bearing just sits on the slave by some little rubber fingers inside the throw out bearing to hold it in place and act like a seal, I think you just forgot or did not know to install the throw out bearing, sometimes they just fall off due to shipping, it is kind of a common occurence. Good Luck
Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lizeec
the throw out bearing just sits on the slave by some little rubber fingers inside the throw out bearing to hold it in place and act like a seal, I think you just forgot or did not know to install the throw out bearing, sometimes they just fall off due to shipping, it is kind of a common occurence. Good Luck
exactly. Some replacement TOB's aren't made this way (like the ones included with spec clutch kits) but the gm stuff is and I'm sure the monster is the same way based on the description of your problem...
Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

email, REsent to .net instead of .com lol. My bad

Got it, thanks.

yes, yours was damaged in shipping. But appears like it canbe put back together (again, they are meant to come apart)

Did you remove the bleeder extension also???
Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

This is your slave...see teh empty "hole" or "port"? That should have a bleeder extension in it....did you remove that?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

I am getting better with my photoshop , this port is where I am talking about...did you remove teh bleeder?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Yes I removed it to install the remote bleeder, had to take it out and put it in the new one. I guess it could be put back together but I wouldn''t use it. The clutch forks did a number on the plastic. At work, Ill get back on and explain more later.

Derrick thank you for your interest and help in my situation.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned

monster sells slaves?

are they good?

Quick Reply: Trashed my brand new Monster slave... ARG