LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

genesis coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default genesis coupe

On my way back from the halloween store with my girlfriend and there is this guy in the genesis coupe a lane over from me. it was the v6 model. anyways i think to myself this guy is definitely going to be an ******* at this light and im with my girlfriend and shes going to bitch. light goes green we both take off like normal but are both rolling into the gas. he hits it and is like a fender out i hesitate knowing of the argument that will ensue and hit it. we go to about 85 he pulls maybe another foot on me. i let off to take my entrance. fact is i have my subs in my trunk and maybe a hundred pounds of tools and my floor jack back there too and my 120lb girlfriend but a loss is a loss and upsetting either way. though i think that if the car was just me in it it would have been a different story it was still surprising. anyway sorry for the long story just curious if anyone else has matched up against one? theyre actually kinda decent and look good to. my girlfriend wants one, and no it wasnt because of this encounter she wanted one when she saw it but now im not so against it anymore.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:45 AM

They actually are quite a bit lighter than the boats we drive, and on top of that, the manual 6-speeds in them are pretty snappy. Had the race actually been, y'know, a race, he'd have walked all over you. It's actually what I'm going to trade my MCSS in on in the next few months. 2.0T model, though, as the V6 is very limited for mods.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Motorweek TV -vs- the Camaro V6 stats: 3.8l coupe 6.1 0-60; quarter 14.4 @ 100 mph

You just got caught off guard - these cars can't make up anything lost in 1st like a LS1 can.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i assure you that car wouldnt have walked all over anything. if that was the case it would have pulled away like i was standing still. they did a retest on it on edmunds and it went 14.1. i was still shocked by it and it sounded pretty good. i definitely think if we were to go from a dead stop it would have been a different story. 09semperss i dont know what you consider a boat but the monte is lighter then the v6 not by a huge margin but lighter none the less, and your out of your mind if you think it would have walked away. anyway good luck with the car.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL why are you shocked by this? The car has 306hp and weighs virtually the same. The best numbers I've seen from the Genesis have been dead on with the best numbers I've seen the LS4 cars run. Should definitely be a drivers race. I love the Genesis coupe myself, I think they look great and are available with alot of great stuff such as Brembo's, etc. If I was in the market for a 2 door car like this it would definitely be a toss up between a Mustang GT or a Genesis coupe, even though the Genesis isn't quite as fast. And the 2.0T models have alot of promise once you get into modding. Hyundai did a great job with this car.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah the car is cool. it just surprised me cause its a hyundai. and i agree with the numbers from the car mags saying they run similar times. i definitely think the genesis is cooler then the 10 mustang. but all honesty i still feel i should have taken that car and ive learned not to underestimate anyone. and personally i wouldnt buy the 2.0t even if there is a ton of **** you could do to it. at the end of the day this is my daily driver not my hotrod and i wouldnt buy something brand new to throw a bunch of **** at it to make it fast. it defeats the purpose of having a daily driver if it becomes you street race car.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing wrong with the daily having big ***** lol
Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

I had a DD LT1 Z28 that also saw duty at the strip and SCCA. Only dynoed at 306rwhp but I got it all to the ground and supprised people on how well rounded you can build a car.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

i didnt say there was anything wrong with having a daily driver. i just think it dumb to buy a car for everyday use to go dumping a bunch of **** in it to make it fast. id rather buy the faster model and not void the warranty and know that if something went wrong with it it can be taken care of for free. i daily drove my 80 for 6 years through varies stages of build up. the point of having a daily driver is to have something to drive without worries that way you can actually work on your hotrod with out worries of it being to radical or not running.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Teching In

IMO, the only reason you ended up behind him was your initial hesitation. If you were by yourself (no noise coming from the passenger seat) it probably would have been a different outcome. Without full commitment from you he's got a serious advantage from the get-go.

These cars are great daily drivers, and I love having the power under my foot all days of the week. I can tell you, I personally would NEVER, EVER trade my Monte SS for a Hyundai, regardless of whether the Hyundai was quicker or not. Who cares if the Hyundai is .1 second quicker in the quarter mile! But that's just me, to each their own.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

My girlfriend really wants a Genesis too. I really like them myself as well. I wouldn't mind having one. I wouldn't get rid of my car for it though.

Good run. I'm sure it would be different if you lost all that wait and didn't hesitate at first.
So did you get into an arguement?? lol
Old 10-05-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

no she was actually ok with it. and then on the ride home as i sat there furious about the whole thing she was like im sure youll bump into him again. to which my response was it doesnt matter im sure that dick is calling all his friends talkin all this **** about how he just smoked some loud *** ss. the car does look really good, and it sounds good too but i wouldnt get rid of the monte for it.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone who buys one of those POS Hyundai cars in unpatriotic. 'Nuff said.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know about it being a piece of **** or not but ive never owned or will own a foreign car. just because i dont like them im a chevy man till the end. i dont think it makes u any more or less patriotic for buying an american car. im sure that 90% of the **** in our homes is foreign. i dont have time,energy, or patience to look at the label on everything and only buy american. and besides im sure that hyundai has to have a plant in america that employs americans. times have changed i may not like it but its a fact.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i dont know about it being a piece of **** or not but ive never owned or will own a foreign car. just because i dont like them im a chevy man till the end. i dont think it makes u any more or less patriotic for buying an american car. im sure that 90% of the **** in our homes is foreign. i dont have time,energy, or patience to look at the label on everything and only buy american. and besides im sure that hyundai has to have a plant in america that employs americans. times have changed i may not like it but its a fact.
Stop making excuses.... Buying an American car from an American company is easy.

Don't fall for the "well it's made here" story. They build cars here because it's cheaper for them in the long run, not because they love America.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

the 4 door genesis is a V8???!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by williamGT
the 4 door genesis is a V8???!!!
Yeah...4.6 with about 375 HP.

The problem is, the car looks like they ripped-off Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and Infiniti...It just depends on what angle you're looking at the car.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Regardless of it strongly sharing some aspects of other cars, I still think they're very nice and a good value. Problem is most people buying the cars that Hyundai is targeting care just as much about the status symbol up in the grill and won't consider an option no matter how good it is if there's a Hyundai symbol up there. Hyundai has still come a long way from making shitty unreliable econoboxes to what they make now. A few years ago no one would believe that Hyundai would have some quality vehicles and have a luxury RWD sedan with a 375hp V8 and a track ready RWD coupe. It's a shame the V8 didn't fit in the coupe that thing would have been wicked.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
Stop making excuses.... Buying an American car from an American company is easy.

Don't fall for the "well it's made here" story. They build cars here because it's cheaper for them in the long run, not because they love America.
And not all American vehicles are built in the US. Get over yourself.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Talking

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
Anyone who buys one of those POS Hyundai cars in unpatriotic. 'Nuff said.
Very well put in a negative way,lol...you always seem to give your first two cents,and no one really cares,lmfao....