Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has rebuilt their own 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who has rebuilt their own 4l60e

would like to know who has rebuilt their 4l60e. and how did it turn out. would they do again. i would not like any opinions, i know i can get it done at a trans shop. would only like to here from people who have done it and their results, bad and good.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Launching!

There's a couple people on here including myself that have. I would do it again, it gets easier each time. You can search my posts and find everything I put in mine. One has over a year on it in a 4x4. The one in my Camaro has about 5 months on it. So far everything is holding up. The truck I just putt around town and some trails. The Camaro doesn't know what idle is. lol
Old 10-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I DID MINE, I JUST PUT IT BACK IN FOR THE 6th TIME AND ITS STILL NOT PERFECT. IF YOU WANT A LEARNING EXPERIENCE AND HAVE THE CASH AND PATIENCE FOR MISTAKES GO FOR IT. IF YOU ABSOLUTELY WANT IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME I WOULD GO TO FLT.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

There is a very well known member of this site that is extremely mechanical that decided to rebuild his own. He contacted all the right people, bought all the right hard parts and got the high end manuals/books and got started. After he finished, I asked him how it went and he said, "I put it in the car and it didn't work correctly. I'm tired of smelling like ATF every night. I called a known 4L60E tech and had him look at it after I pulled it out. It took him like 5 minutes to see I'd put ONE part in backwards. It was a great learning experience but I'd pay a pro to do this in the future. It's just not worth my time to buy all the parts, tools and *think* I got it right."
I took him at his word
Unless you just like to get into it, I'd just go with Performabuilt or FLT.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with a built one the first time and the second time and after that I said forget this and tore it down and redid it myself. I would do it again myself. I don't trust other "builders" after two bad trannys in a close to stock car.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

It's a dark art for most of us. Kudos to you for being one of those that figured out the mysteries of those boxes! I would like to be an intern at a tranny shop that builds them to race spec's.

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
I went with a built one the first time and the second time and after that I said forget this and tore it down and redid it myself. I would do it again myself. I don't trust other "builders" after two bad trannys in a close to stock car.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple years ago, I rebuilt the 4l60e in my old truck. It was hard as $hit and I would never try it again. I also got really, really tired of the smell of atf.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

there is a GIANT thread somewhere in the auto forum about someone who did this...ordered all the right parts, had sponsors help him as much as possible (not in person) and had video tutorials on it.

it went sour.

Chad
Old 10-08-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

I did it and would do it again, but didn't get it right the first time. I'm use to engines and just wasn't sure what to look out for so its def a steep learning curve. Some advise, don't skimp, if in doubt replace the part. That was my mistake and caused headaches later.

That being said, I had something else to drive and don't mind spending time working on my car. If it was my primary car no way in hell, I'd just order one of Franks (PB) and be done with it.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

i have a lift air tools etc. i talked to a guy at a reputable trans shop and he told me all the parts i would need to upgrade trans to about 450-500 horse. that not including any other parts that i find when i tear it apart.the car has a 3200 vig stall and a transgo reprogram shift kit which i installed. the car is drivable, but when you floor it the clutches are chattering in first. the car when driven slow drives and shifts fine. i have stopped driving car sense this happened. i rebuilt the engine myself and i have Never took a engine apart.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Way more moving parts in a transmission. But the way i look at it is, "if they can do it so can i."
Old 10-11-2009, 08:15 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
I hate to see this happen and have customers just like yourself that have gone through the same issues. After converting to a FLT combo they have been very happy.

Personally some guys have no business in doing there own transmissions. I have seen more bad than good and get PM's constantly from members that have been down this road. I remember a couple from this thread alone! The issue is it is easy to just change parts but fixing a problem that you can not see is another story.

The average guy has little to no knowledge in how these things work. With that being said I personally would have someone that specializes in these and know the ins and out of these units build a unit for you. There was recently a topic on this forum that stated the same advise. Look at the basement build up to see for your self. Best of luck. Vince Bielanski
Old 10-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Launching!

I woudn't do it. Tranny shops charge alot for a reason. If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xbcrguy182x
I woudn't do it. Tranny shops charge alot for a reason. If it was easy, everyone would do it.
I agree, its the one part of my car that I will never touch. I have no problem paying someone to do that. Hopefully next year or the year after Ill be paying someone to pull it rebuild it, and install a shift kit, cooler, and a yank ss 3600.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan on trying mine. I built a few in auto class but that was 10 years ago. But however i do fix aircraft for a living so i have good attention to detail and know when to get help.