Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 point cage with an useable back seat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6 point cage with an useable back seat?

anybody have young kids and a caged fbody? my daughter is 2, and would be heartbroken if i caged my car and she couldnt ride in it anymore. the main thing im worried about is the horizontal support between the main hoop, are there any that are lower then normal to accomodate getting in the back seat? ideas? she still rides in a carseat, btw.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Very unsafe to ride anyone in the rear seat with a roll bar. I really don't know about a child in a car seat, but do you really want to take that chance. I think it is best to just remove the rear seat from a roll bar car and take away the possibility of anyone ever riding back there again. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-04-2009, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

I had heard the same thing when I done my roll bar. So I just took out the back seat for good.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

DO NOT PUT A CHILD IN THE BACKSEAT OF A CAR WITH S ROLLBAR/CAGE! You EVER get intoa an accident, that bar can kill a person, child even easier. Nevermind if they have to pry you put, the cage with a back passenger, they're gonna have a HARD time getting them out.

VERY BAD IDEA. Put her in the front seat, or no more rides in the car.

A 5 pt harness, adjusted properly for a short/small passenger would be 10 times safer then ever getting in the backseat.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what about a removable horizontal bar? i know its not nhra legal and probably a dumb idea, but just a thought.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont mean to be a *****, but i am a dad first, and a racer second. you either chose your car to be a race car (clearly its fast enough to need a roll bar) or you chose to have a safe car for your family. dont be a DICK. use your HEAD. do NOT EVER put anyone, especially a child in the back seats of a car with a roll bar. in fact. roll bars basically make all crush zones irrelevant.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS, look at my sig....
Old 10-04-2009, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
roll bars basically make all crush zones irrelevant.

Not to mention if you have a roll bar you have more than likely deleted structural components (ie Bumper supports).

Yea man I don't have kids but I wouldn't let a kid ride in the back with that bar there. I've let my buddies do it but they don't have a lot to loose between their ears if ya know what I mean
Old 10-04-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never put anyone in the back of a car with a roll bar or cage installed.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

this isnt something she rides in everyday. i live in a small town, and i take her to daycare occassionally when my wife cant, thats about it. i dont go joyriding with her in the car; just hate to completely eliminate the backseat. the car isnt a ''race car'' but it does run close to single digit numbers on the spray.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah but with that cross bar at head level its just not smart. just go watch a few accident testing videos on youtube. you don't want to regret it if the worst case scenario ever happened. its just not worth it. thats why i suggested a bolt in cross bar so you can take it out when the kid is in the car.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just leave it out and race and leave when they kick you out. probly get banned from the track until you get a cage in it. But if its not a race car, then dont worry about tracking it
Old 10-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
Just leave it out and race and leave when they kick you out. probly get banned from the track until you get a cage in it. But if its not a race car, then dont worry about tracking it
This is a statement I can not and will not support either. if you KNOW the car is too fast for the cirrent level of safety equipment by the rulebook, you have absolutely NO business taking it to the track.

If it's that fast great, but if you don't have the safety equipment, keep it off the track until it's legal.

Nothing I hate worse then seeing a car at the track geting kicked out for lack of safety equipment. When a car is built, you do the safety stuff first for the given speed goal of the car, then start making the power and putting it down.

Not the other way around! That's how people get hurt!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:16 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tribaltalon
this isnt something she rides in everyday. i live in a small town, and i take her to daycare occassionally when my wife cant, thats about it. i dont go joyriding with her in the car; just hate to completely eliminate the backseat. the car isnt a ''race car'' but it does run close to single digit numbers on the spray.
so youre saying its ok to let her ride in a dangerous situation every now and then?
when i put my cage in i banged my head a few times. few more times doing interior panels.
just a light bump and i can tell you its not fun.
dont risk your daughters, or anyone elses life.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Guys, I have 3 kids, all of which loved to ride in my car when it was H/C.
Once the rollbar and 383 went in, the backseats (and car seats) came out.
"usable" or not, it's just not safe for anyone (children included).

The kids ride in the Tahoe and Caravan now.
Daddy's car is off limits until they are old enough to sit in the front seat and wear an adult size seatbelt.

Safety (both you and your passengers) is #1
Old 10-04-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

when i was that age i would just stand between the seats and hold onto the roll bar and say, do it again daddy.... kinda like, "we rode bikes with no helmets, but still here we are....
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by James Montigny

Daddy's car is off limits until they are old enough to sit in the front seat and wear an adult size seatbelt.

I agree with this point! Completely.
And like the other guy said, If your going to go to the track it should be safe to run whatever ET/MPH the car will run.
I ran mine at the track and had no idea what it would do. Needless to say I have only been 2 times b/c the car is too fast for what I have done.
I have NO safety equipment other than a helmet! Therefore, I'm not going back until I get the stuff I need!
And considering your at the single number ET mark on spray, Put a cage/roll bar in it and leave the child out! I wouldn't risk losing my child over ANY car! If it's that important to you to put a roll bar or cage in, then buy another car to drive her around in.

SAFETY FIRST!

James
Old 10-04-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

like i said before, this isnt something i normally take her around in. i have other cars. im also one of those people who rode in the back of cars with a roll cage when i was a kid, and loved it. thats why i have the toys i do now. and like i said, the speed limit around here is 30-45 mph. i would put padding on the cage. my daughter is #1 to me, but i also do think people shelter their kids WAY too much. if a wreck did happen to where the cage came into play, then unfortunately the way the car is designed she would probably be seriously injured anyway. guess i should just sell the car and buy a suburban or somthing.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 AM
9 Second Club

My back seat is long gone since the 10pt cage. I drive my daughter around occasionally with a booster seat in the front passenger seat. Seat also has a 5pt harness. Not sure how legal t is but she's not going anywhere and I feel that she is very safe in the front.
I've contemplated having some good mounts welded in the back area for booster seats and 2 more 5 point harnesses this way there is no way the kids could hit the crossbar but JL just made a good point about having to get the kids out in an accident but the rear glass is huge and I have t tops so maybe it wouldn't be that bad.
Either way, probably not worth it and safer to keep them out of the car. I drive the kids around in the pits at the track, thay like that.
Yesterday I saw a Harley guy with his kid on the back of the bike. Kid had on sweat pants, sneakers and no gloves. Rider had all his gear on. What a dick I said to my wife as we drove past him. What a dick!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TJ
so youre saying its ok to let her ride in a dangerous situation every now and then?
when i put my cage in i banged my head a few times. few more times doing interior panels.
just a light bump and i can tell you its not fun.
dont risk your daughters, or anyone elses life.
Agreed

Originally Posted by James Montigny

Agreed

Quick Reply: 6 point cage with an useable back seat?