Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle Play

Old 10-04-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Axle Play

So I've been having issues lately with a sinking brake pedal after going through a turn fast. I thought maybe it was the master cylinder, but today I jacked up the car and realized there is a ton of play in my driver's side axle shaft.

The axle bearing it good, but the entire axle moves in and out probably close to a 1/4". Its a ridiculous amount of play, I can watch the caliper slide back and fourth as I pull the wheel in/out. The passenger side is fine, feels like its definitely within spec, theres barely any movement and I can't see the caliper move at all when I check it.

Any ideas what is worn out or needs to be replaced before I pull it apart??
Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump...
Old 10-05-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The axles are held in by C clips in the differential. If there is play, it is likely something wrong in there.

For kicks, take the brake hardware off, then wiggle the axle and see how much it moves without the brakes. If it starts to really pull out, well, then you're C clip is missing off the end of the axle somehow.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
The axles are held in by C clips in the differential. If there is play, it is likely something wrong in there.

For kicks, take the brake hardware off, then wiggle the axle and see how much it moves without the brakes. If it starts to really pull out, well, then you're C clip is missing off the end of the axle somehow.
Interesting idea, I really didn't consider that. Can't see how it would even happen, but who knows I guess.

I'm guessing the c-clip groove on the axle is worn, but looks like I'm going to have to pull it apart to find out whats really going on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Axle Play