Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same 'ol cam thread, different car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Same 'ol cam thread, different car...

I'm changing out my LT1 for a LS1(1998) in my '87 Mazda RX7. I've read alot of cam advice on this forum, but they dont really apply to a 2600# car.

Heres the basics:

It will be a stock rotating assembly, only mod will be upgraded rod bolts

Stock '98 heads, only mod will be port matching and valve springs.

It has a T56 transmission and a 4.10:1 rearend ratio.

It will have an oversized throttlebody and will eventually have a LS6 or Street Warior intake manifold.

Lastly it will have longtube headers and some sort of aftermarket intake system.

As you can tell from the build, this is no wild motor... it doesnt need to be, somewhere in the 350-380whp range would be plenty for the weight and gears of this car. 400whp would be cool just to say it, but not needed. =)

I wouldnt mind a little choppy idle, but would like to keep good street manners. My LT1 had a pretty nasty cam in it and driving around a parking lot in 1st gear with 4.10's out back was almost impossible due to horrible jerking.

I was originally thinking about a stock LS6 cam, because it would retain factory drivability while having a fair amount of lift, but I'de rather go bigger now, not later.

Thanks for takking the time to read this whole post and thanks for any advice.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.... Have fun in your hunt for a street warrior intake... stick with the ls6 intake man.
I would check out TSPs torquer cams... Got any pics of your swap progress? I used to have an '87, blew the rotary to pieces, and unfortunately ended up selling it. Wanted to do a swap, but had too many projects at the time. I'm looking to get another one after this deployment is over and do something crazy with it lol.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I run a tr224 and it only bucks a little when the converter locks in OD about 40 mph. Other then that it feels about stock in normal driving. I also recently installed an older Comp 222 with a 112+4 for a buddy and it had a nice lope and retained stock driveability.