Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans Am Console in a Z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Am Console in a Z?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but thought I'd give it a try. I just bought a 95 Z with a blown head gasket for a winter project. I used to have a 95 Trans Am and I was wondering if the consoles were interchangeable. I would like to have the t-handle style shifter of the TA and the perf mode switch.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Basically everything between the f bodies are interchangable.... Pretty sure someone will chime in.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Revson
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but thought I'd give it a try. I just bought a 95 Z with a blown head gasket for a winter project. I used to have a 95 Trans Am and I was wondering if the consoles were interchangeable. I would like to have the t-handle style shifter of the TA and the perf mode switch.
you dont need to change the console to change the shifter ****, they are interchangeable
Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a flathead or a pair of needle nose pliers. There should be a pin in the back of the shifter. Pull the pin out, and pull the shifter off. (just the handle will come off obviously)
Old 10-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The handle is easy to change. There is a staple in the front facing the radio. Pull out the staple, and pull the handle up.

The performance switch is a different matter. That is a function of the transmission. You can't just wire up a switch unless the trans also has that feature.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
The handle is easy to change. There is a staple in the front facing the radio. Pull out the staple, and pull the handle up.

The performance switch is a different matter. That is a function of the transmission. You can't just wire up a switch unless the trans also has that feature.
My understanding was the program for performance mode was in all f-body PCMs, to use it on Camaros, there is a way to wire it in from the PCM or tranny. I have to do more serarching, but I know it's out there.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:10 AM
On The Tree

u will have a 4 inch gap below the radio bezel and above the TA cig lighter area. basicly its a !Cassette Mod lol. its worth it
Old 10-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

My understanding was the program for performance mode was in all f-body PCMs, to use it on Camaros, there is a way to wire it in from the PCM or tranny. I have to do more serarching, but I know it's out there.
It might be year-specific. I have a 4L60E in my Formula and it doesn't have any switch. I don't remember seeing anything about it on the option sheet either.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Teching In

+1 to yes easy
Old 10-08-2009, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
It might be year-specific. I have a 4L60E in my Formula and it doesn't have any switch. I don't remember seeing anything about it on the option sheet either.
Here is the link to how to add the perf/normal mode switch to a Z/28. All you have to do is hook up a couple of wires.

http://www.trifectaperformance.com/t...rmanceMode.htm
Old 10-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Here is the link to how to add the perf/normal mode switch to a Z/28. All you have to do is hook up a couple of wires.

http://www.trifectaperformance.com/t...rmanceMode.htm
Thanks for the link, but it won't work for me since I have a 2001 LS1.

It may work for Revson though.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, in theory, I could wire the switch into my 95 z28... Have a very mild transmission tune for putting around, and then go over and modify my performance tables in my pcm and install the switch and have a very aggressive transmission tune at the touch of a button?

If so, that would be pretty sweet. I assume you have the capability to change that table to whatever you want...
Old 10-09-2009, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
So, in theory, I could wire the switch into my 95 z28... Have a very mild transmission tune for putting around, and then go over and modify my performance tables in my pcm and install the switch and have a very aggressive transmission tune at the touch of a button?

If so, that would be pretty sweet. I assume you have the capability to change that table to whatever you want...
Yeah, my previous LT1 car was a 95 TA that already had the switch. I used LT1edit and had 2 programs, one where I messed with it and messed with it and got it to shift really well, almost like a Caddy, then in perf mode it would chirp the tires on 1-2,2-3 shifts. But the thing I was happiest with was I could upload a program for autocrossing, which I did alot of, where the car would go immediately to 2nd and stay there, so I didn't have to worry about downshifts coming out of corners etc. So I could drive to the track in normal mode, then hit the switch when I was ready to race. The only problem is when I sold the car about 3 years ago I gave the new owner all the programs and info, thinking I'd never get another LT1 car, so now I have to start all over from scratch and what I remember.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW I remember hearing that a 95 camaro already has "transmission perform" installed on it by default. the trans am has the ability to not have that feature enabled for a better ride i suppose, but from what i heard the camaro's transmission is programmed to be in TP mode all the time. I always get people asking me what that switch is

you know what is really rare. a 95 Trans Am/Formula with both transmission perform AND traction control. i saw one at the T/A nats and had to take a pic. my car being originally from hawaii only has the trans perform. I have no traction control. interestingly, the car i took a pic of must have also only had 2:73 rear gears because it has no first gear selector. I also need to find one of those rubber cup holder things since my car never had one as long as i've owned it.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 10-09-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

sure would ne nice to have a switch for tcs as well
Old 10-11-2009, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Ok, I did some searching and googled, and I can't find a write up or instructions on putting a LS1 console in my 95. Anybody know of one? Or is it basically bolt in, straight swap?

Quick Reply: Trans Am Console in a Z?