Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ITB tunning

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ITB tunning

I don't venture out of the Canadian section on here too often, but I am about to start a unique build on my 3.8 that as far as I know, no other v6 owner has done to date. I'm looking at doing an ITB setup, but I need some info about tuning and such from some people that have some experience with the matter.Since no one on the v6 forums has experience with this stuff, I am posting here because I've seen some really sweet setups on these cars.

How are you guys that are running ITBs tuning your car? Is anyone using Hp tuners to achieve this? Are you guys running a MAF still? we are really limited in our programing, so as far as I can tell, MAP and speed density tuning is not possible for us...We pretty much rely on that MAF table...Also, how are you going about monitoring each cylinder to make sure you are not leaning out more in 1 then another? Was there any issues you ran into while tuning that I can have a heads up on?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

www.wait4meperformance.com
Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS6427
Thanks,

but, I am nowhere near Indiana...I'm actually looking at tuning this myself...unlike most of you v8 guys, I don't really think there are a whole lot of guys that are familiar with tuning a 3.8...if they got to learn, I gotta learn...I've already done the tune for my cam...I figure Im one step ahead and mine as well just continue tuning myself...
Old 10-05-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need to run speed density or alpha-n/tps fueling.
Maf wont cut it for obvious reasons..
Make sure the ITB has a common connection between throttles to pickup vaccum for speed density calcs. I know Jessie from waitforme has used the harrop which supports a map sensor.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ringram
You will need to run speed density or alpha-n/tps fueling.
Maf wont cut it for obvious reasons..
Make sure the ITB has a common connection between throttles to pickup vaccum for speed density calcs. I know Jessie from waitforme has used the harrop which supports a map sensor.
The problem with the programing for the v6 is there is no support for MAP tunning for us...we can tune either through the maf table, or through VE...apparently our cars do not respond too well being tuned through the VE though...

What is the alpha-n/tps fueling?

The way I was thinking of running a maf and getting it to work is like this...my 6 throttle bodies will be on one side of the car...the drivers side...so if I use an air box type system around the ITBs and have one collector tune with a filter on the end...picture something like this, except on one side only...

Insert a MAF in that collector tube, and run my maf table off of that, since it would read the air coming in as a whole, before it reaches each throttle body.

The only concern I have with doing it like this is, A) I've read that it is not as efficient as just having open velocity stacks with a filter on the end, and B) I'm not sure that I would get even air flow to all 6 cylinders this way...
Attached Thumbnails ITB tunning-picture-20175.jpg  
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Bump...I won't be running a maf...how are you guys monitoring each individual cylinder to insure non of them go lean? Are you using EGT's? are you able to log 6-8 EGT's in Hp tuners at one time?

Quick Reply: ITB tunning