Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tires rub bumpstops when jacking up car

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tires rub bumpstops when jacking up car

Tonight I jacked up the car to install a new sway bar, springs, shocks, and panhard bar. When the car was up in the air I noticed the inner side part of the tire on the driver side was jammed into the side of the bumpstop. My initial thought was 'man, I really do need a panhard bar' - until I looked at the passenger side, and THE SAME THING!

At that point I took the wheels off (I didn't lower the car because I was afraid the bumpstop would puncture the sidewall of the tire if I tried to lower it back down.)

The tires are 315s and the previous owner installed sportlines, which I'm replacing with BMR springs and koni shocks.

My question is: Do I need to somehow cut or trip the outter portion of the bumpstop?

Apparently this has occured everytime I have jacked up the car, but I never realized it. Based on the condition of the inner wheel lips, and the bumpstop edges (both have chipped areas and look slightly damaged) - this has happened for a while.

When I need to jack up the car, would it be best to lift from the rear and keep the suspension under load? Should I trim the bumpstop any?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep suspension under load or get a grinder and grind off the edges of bumpstop. I did this and have no issues with it rubbing on my 335/30/18s
Old 10-06-2009, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

i too have 315s...all you need is a grinder and a sledge
Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I cut a little less than 1/2 the bumpstop off on mine.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a common issue. I have the same problem. It's an easy fix. Jack the car up by the pumpkin, remove rear wheels, put jack stands under frame, let car down on jack stands. No contact.

There is no evidence that my wheels have ever touched my bump stops in the 4 years I've been racing on them.

Quick Reply: Tires rub bumpstops when jacking up car