Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

questions on cut springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default questions on cut springs

I have talked to a couple guys that say they like the ride better with their rear stock springs cut... any of you guys done this? and is 2" too much of a drop? I wanted to put tt2's on my car but dont know if I should try this....not looking for the cheap way put but just curious if anyone has done it, and if they do how they like/liked it....
Old 10-06-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you this, When you cut the spring, you will achieve a lower stance, but when you cut the spring it also changes the spring rate, causing a difference in ride quality, Generally it makes the ride alot stiffer.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

does it affect performance? I kind of prefer a stiffer ride
Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1st thing - I'm sure this has been discussed a ton and more info can be found via a search.

That being said, I had done it on a prior car. Best thing is to cut a little at a time (so it IS time consuming and the springs come off/on again until its right). It will be stiffer and you will need shocks to compensate. Since you will need to opt the $ for shocks, might as well spend a hundred more or so on lowering springs so you dont have to mess with it. Honestly, my time is worth more than the multiple uninstall/reinstalls..

p.s. - you'll get TONS of replies on this topic from people telling you not to cut em. I'd only listen to those that HAVE done it.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

i've never cut springs on a car, and i plan on keeping it that way. anyway, that's beside the point.

i would never lower a car without replacing the shocks, unless i didn't plan on driving it. especially if i were lowering it 2 inches. as the previous poster stated, might as well just do it right the first time.

also, lowering the rear 2 inches and leaving the front at stock height will look pretty dumb IMO. if you plan on doing the fronts too, and are already going through the strut swap anyway, just do it the right way. you'll be a lot happier.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

I have eibachs in front so I will just look for a set of the same on the rears...just curious, thanks for the info guys!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Ride quality is pretty much always "personal taste". What kind of ride do you prefer? Soft or stiff is a very simple description of what you like. You gotta understand what's going on with the suspension. The softer you go, the more situations you can contact bumpstops. Bumpstops can be pretty stiff whether they are the triangular ones or square ones. How much rebound do you like? I believe a lot of people prefer a really low rebound setting for daily driving and a lot of people prefer a really well dampened rebound setting.

Basically, you're not going to get your answer by asking all of us. Only you know what kind of ride you prefer. Maybe this is just me.. but I am a bit weary of even just friends of mine who claim to know certain things.

There was a thread recently where TransRam and MajorLee had a discussion showing that cutting springs does raise the springrate, but it is a very minimal increase. Cutting to be 2 inches lower I'd imagine you'll still have a soft spring that will impact full suspension travel harder than most aftermarket springs out there (maybe all of them).