Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

70-76 Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 70-76 Scoop

I tried in the Southern Section for this, but I thought I'd post a new one here because no one responded.

I'm working on a Shaker project similar to the 2003 Heritage T/A. I'm looking for anyone who has a 70-76 (I'm pretty sure it's the same size) Scoop on a T/A that would give me a trace-out of part of the hood that's cut out.

I'd gladly pay for your time, and all the shipping required. I think posterboard is relatively cheap, and shipping should be to much.

Please let me know, I have the scoop from a 1972 and need a better pattern to cut out of a 4th Gen Hood.

-Chris
Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Interesting... Had any luck progressing on your project.
How are you going to incorporate the shaker scoop to the intake?
There is a Marine manifold for the LS-1 & it still utilizes fuel rail, etc.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure I can do this for you if nobody else can..
Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Unik1Hawk
Interesting... Had any luck progressing on your project.
How are you going to incorporate the shaker scoop to the intake?
There is a Marine manifold for the LS-1 & it still utilizes fuel rail, etc.
Do you have any details on the marine manifold? It sounds like what they used on the actual Heritage TA.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for bumping an old thread. I'm headed to Amarillo this weekend to attempt this. I did get one cutout of a 76. It was "alright." I think it may work. I had another board member I checked with today on another thread I posted up. IRONFIST, I'll PM you. I'll gladly pay for 2-3 different cutout traces. It will only help more.

Since the last update, I've gotten another spare hood, more tools, a trace-out, and more time to think about exactly how to do this. I've talked to Russ (Raleigh T/A) quite a bit over the last year or two. Russ, if it goes well I WILL be at next year's gathering come hell or high water. A lot of the creativity and inspiration has been from his ideas.

If everything goes well this weekend, and I expect it to, I will be posting pic's here. Beginning to finish. This weekend, I plan on just making the cut and mounting it. My end goal would be to make it functional, but I think that will be much easier once it's mounted. It won't be painted yet either, so the original pics might look rough. But at least I'll be able to get an idea of it.

I'll be mounting one of two ways. Off of a base of the fuel rail bolts. I'll be replacing the bolts with a threaded rod/nut. The threaded rod will be 6-8" or high enough to base the scoop off of. The other way will be some clips (Russ found) that bolt directly to the fuel rails.

Eventually I'll make an enclosed box to take the intake air down to the factory location. I'll probably utilize a K&N FIPK. My family is very good at fabricating, and it'll probably be constructed of some type of metal like the FTRA kit. I know that it is not any power gain whatsoever, but I really don't give a damn about that.

Well, again sorry for bumping an old thread. Hopefully this weekend will be a positive outcome and I am drinking beer in celebration rather than crying in the corner like a little girl with a fucked up hood.

Happy 4th of July weekend,
Chris