Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Going to Gainesville Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Going to Gainesville Tonight

i'm taking the TA to Gainesville tonight to get some shakedown passes. if anyone else is heading that way gimme a holler. i'll be in a 98 NBM WS6. i'll post times tonight. shooting for mid elevens and probably gonna get kicked off because i dont have a cage.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i was done with my ram air setup i would join in ! good luck with your times
Old 10-07-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

****!!!! i was doing some shakedown digs before i was to head out tonight. check this out. my Yella Terras took a **** on me. well one shaft set did at least. here's the damage. 2500 miles and only one set bit it? that's gotta be a manufacturing problem. i'm taking the other 7 sets to work tomorrow to get Eddy Current inspected as well as Magnetic Particle inspected to verify they are alright.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

holly **** ! thats not good !! didnt break anything eles did it?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98TA6.0
****!!!! i was doing some shakedown digs before i was to head out tonight. check this out. my Yella Terras took a **** on me. well one shaft set did at least. here's the damage. 2500 miles and only one set bit it? that's gotta be a manufacturing problem. i'm taking the other 7 sets to work tomorrow to get Eddy Current inspected as well as Magnetic Particle inspected to verify they are alright.
That sucks. Part out the weak so that the strong can go to the front of the line. No further damage?

Doc
Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not sure why only one rocker broke though. luckily nothing else was broken. pushrods and rocker pedestals look great. i'll find out if there is further damage tomorrow morning.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Launching!

That SUCKS. good luck putting it back together bud
Old 10-08-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i put the stock rockers in and it runs great now. i called TSP and a new set is on the way. i magnetic particle inspected the other 7 sets and they checked fine so it had to be a defect with the rocker itself.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry to hear that man, but it's good that nothing else was damaged.

This reminds me of someone that told me that stock rockers weren't a good idea when putting new heads on.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Local-heretic
Sorry to hear that man, but it's good that nothing else was damaged.

This reminds me of someone that told me that stock rockers weren't a good idea when putting new heads on.

Stock rockers with the Comp Cams Trurion upgrade are the best you can get without going extreme. Its cheap and it makes the stock rocker far superior to any of the aluminum "Yella Terras", "Skorpion" etc rockers. The aftermarket rockers are weaker and have the most weight over the WRONG part of the valvetrain. Do a search for stock rockers breaking (other then the bearings) and then the aftermarket rockers breaking. It's kind of obvious.

The upgrade is only $130. I know someone who can rebuild your stockers for $200 with the upgrade, clean them out and send them back to you.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there's nothing wrong with using aftermarket roller tip rockers. they arent weaker or by any means inferior to stock arms. true stock rockers are strong and fine in any 500+ hp car. shaft mount roller tip rockers will allow your valve guides and precious titanium retainers to last a bit longer and also rev a bit more controlled at higher RPMs. i've taken stock rockers to 7400 rpm and worked just fine. i have a new set on the way (warrantied replacement. Yella Terra has great customer service by the way) and they will be in and ready for Gainesville next wednesday. hopefully they stay together this time.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98TA6.0
there's nothing wrong with using aftermarket roller tip rockers. they arent weaker or by any means inferior to stock arms. true stock rockers are strong and fine in any 500+ hp car. shaft mount roller tip rockers will allow your valve guides and precious titanium retainers to last a bit longer and also rev a bit more controlled at higher RPMs. i've taken stock rockers to 7400 rpm and worked just fine. i have a new set on the way (warrantied replacement. Yella Terra has great customer service by the way) and they will be in and ready for Gainesville next wednesday. hopefully they stay together this time.
I'd say yes, they are definitely weaker.

Yella Terra does have great customer service I hear, so at least when something does break, it will get replaced.
However, how many stock rocker arms have you seen shattered compared to aftermarket aluminum? What about the trurion upgrade or Harland Sharp? I have seen zero. Without searching, but zero.

You upgrade to Trunion Bearings and I'm willing to bet it will out last and sustain high rpms way longer.

The roller tip actually has more weight over the valve then the stock rockers. Which is where you don't want it. Dyno tests have shown 1hp gains from roller tips, so why people do it is beyond me.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

^
+1

I've read the horror stories here about many aftermarket rockers doing the same things yours did. Not only that, but quite a few shops have told me the same thing.

I think Doc's Camaro still uses stock rockers.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Local-heretic
^
+1

I've read the horror stories here about many aftermarket rockers doing the same things yours did. Not only that, but quite a few shops have told me the same thing.

I think Doc's Camaro still uses stock rockers.
I put stock rockers on both my Stroker motors !!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Restricted User

went back to stock myself after an HS failure
Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a known issue with a few rocker arms (not sets). Here is a link to the explanation as provided by Yella Terra: Link They will replace the set for you.

If you are running AFR heads with the stock rockers, did you set the wipe? If not, you will be looking at high wear on your valve guides. Also, did you correctly set the wipe on the Yella Terra's? If not, set the wipe first then measure for the pushrod length. Don't follow the instructions on LS1howto.com, they are not correct for installing YT's.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
This is a known issue with a few rocker arms (not sets). Here is a link to the explanation as provided by Yella Terra: Link They will replace the set for you.

If you are running AFR heads with the stock rockers, did you set the wipe? If not, you will be looking at high wear on your valve guides. Also, did you correctly set the wipe on the Yella Terra's? If not, set the wipe first then measure for the pushrod length. Don't follow the instructions on LS1howto.com, they are not correct for installing YT's.
Don't you think the million dollar question is: Has anyone ever broken a stock rocker with the upgraded bearings?

Compare those to aftermarket rockers themselves, and I think you have a common sense answer.

I rather have the peace of mind with the stockers + the Comp upgrade.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:09 AM
10 Second Club

Dude quit the stock rockers and regurgitating everything you read on the "other" site....how many stock rockers have puked needle bearings through a motor....go back in your corner and run your stock rockers...the OP seems just fine with getting his YT's replaced and running a true roller for sake of bronze guides...the triunion just came out and the HS upgraded stock rockers still had issues

Last edited by Kurtomac; 10-14-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
Dude quit the stock rockers and regurgitating everything you read on the "other" site....how many stock rockers have puked needle bearings through a motor....go back in your corner and run your stock rockers...the OP seems just fine with getting his YT's replaced and running a true roller for sake of bronze guides...the triunion just came out and the HS upgraded stock rockers still had issues
Hey Homo...go back on base and ride your bicycle !!

And if I pick you up to go to MIR, your riding with the slicks in back of the truck !!
Old 10-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
Actually, i dont need to read anything on "the other site" to know what hasnt broke, all i need to do is hit "new posts" on half the forums out there and aftermarket rockers pop up broken. Why even mention the bearings? I said specifically with the upgrade. So i cant quote hard data for the sake of an argument like where the weight is located on an aftermarket piece? How about you use some common sense. Trying to save someone a headache makes ME the badguy...

Last edited by Fatbum; 10-14-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Going to Gainesville Tonight