Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Leaking tranny fluid...need some help on this one.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking tranny fluid...need some help on this one.

Alright, heres the deal. For about two months now I have noticed that my transmissilon (T-56) which is in my 2000 WS6 has been leaking fluid from the tailshaft, the very rear of the tranny. Ive looked over various threads that I could find pertaining to my issue and really cannot determine the definite casue. I am leaning to the tailshaft seal and bushing. Maybe some of you seasoned T-56 guys can chime in and give me your opinion and what/how I would go about fixing the problem.

Thanks in advance, Sean
Old 10-07-2009, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by oneblackTA2000
Alright, heres the deal. For about two months now I have noticed that my transmissilon (T-56) which is in my 2000 WS6 has been leaking fluid from the tailshaft, the very rear of the tranny. Ive looked over various threads that I could find pertaining to my issue and really cannot determine the definite casue. I am leaning to the tailshaft seal and bushing. Maybe some of you seasoned T-56 guys can chime in and give me your opinion and what/how I would go about fixing the problem.

Thanks in advance, Sean

if replaced seal, then:

take a look at slip yoke (maybe worn)

If that's ok, then:
bushing is worn..
Old 10-07-2009, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

^^^what he said
Old 10-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Ok, I am going to take a closer look at it tonight even though I dont really have a clue as to what I will be looking at, dont know too much about transmissions unfortunately.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by oneblackTA2000
Ok, I am going to take a closer look at it tonight even though I dont really have a clue as to what I will be looking at, dont know too much about transmissions unfortunately.
well, when you pull driveshaft, the slip yoke (part that slides in teh back of tranny) will be reeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllll smooooooooooooth. If not...if wavy, or grooves in it, then it is worn, and is causing premature wear on seal and /or bushing.
So, no matter how many seals/bushings you put in, you will continue to have leaks. So, teh slip yoke will need to be replaced.

Now, if slip yoke is fine, and you just replaced seal, then bushing will need replaced.

You need to pull off tailhousing to do that.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

tail shaft bushing. Can be relaced with tail shaft/trans still in the car. Napa had this bushing I beleive I use a timkin bushing. I froze the new one when I taped it in with a dowel. That seal is nothing more than a dust boot in my opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking tranny fluid...need some help on this one.