Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch/Transmission Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Transmission Problems.

Saturday night I took a friend for a ride and after I shifted to 3rd the pedal didnt come back. I drove it home at normal speeds and it did fine. The problem only occurs at higher rpm's (4500-5500). The pedal just feels really soft. The following day I drove the car to work, and on the way home it wouldnt go into 6th and still wont? Just a grind. Up until Sunday I had chalked it up to a hydraulic problem, but after the issue with 6th I'm not so sure. I hope you guys can shoot me in the right direction, because I get a different response from everyone.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

The first thing I suggest is checking the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir. If it is dark or cloudy then it needs to be flushed and refilled. It's possible that you boiled the fluid or that it has simply broken down as a result of use and time. Either way it could lead to your initial issue and to a lesser extent the secondary issue of selecting 6th. Upgrade to a more heat resistent fluid (I use Motul RBF 600) and check the routing of the lines as they pass by the header. The line should be routed behind the heat shield and it's worth it to wrap the lines ina good heat wrap to further insulate them. Check it out and let me know what you find and we can proceed from that point forward. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks,
Old 10-15-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Put in new MC, did the drill mod, new fluids in the hydraulic system and new fluid in the trans. Still nothing, any ideas?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:35 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by EATSGTS
Put in new MC, did the drill mod, new fluids in the hydraulic system and new fluid in the trans. Still nothing, any ideas?

Does it go into 6th gear with car OFF?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Is it still just 6th gear? Have you noticed any difficulty in selecting other gear? If not then it sounds like its an internal trans problem. Let me know though and we can continue to trouble shoot. Thanks,
Old 10-16-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

It will go in 6th with the car off, crank it and ease out of the clutch and it kicks out. Yes the isssue is only in 6th gear. It is also still losing clutch pressure at high rpm's. Thanks for helping me out guys.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

It will go in 6th with the car off, crank it and ease out of the clutch and it kicks out. Yes the isssue is only in 6th gear. It is also still losing clutch pressure at high rpm's. Thanks for helping me out guys.

Wel, it sounds like you have multiple problems. If kicking tranny out of gear, and ONLY that gear, you have a tranny problem, more than likely. Syncrho or engagement teeth on 6th gear could be potential problems.

If losing clutch as high rpms, then you have either a hydro or clutch issue. I do not believe this is related to your 6th gear issue.
You say you have replaced MC...but not the slave, right? So, it could be a slave issue, or PP itself...How old is your setup again???
Old 10-18-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

99 model car, as far as I know its factory setup.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:56 PM
FormerVendor

99 model car, as far as I know its factory setup.

Yeah, would start with replacement of slave and at that time, you might want to think seriously about replacing clutch as well...

Still does not address your tranny issue, but is a start...
Old 10-18-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

How much do you guys knock off on rebuilds for Tech members?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:59 PM
FormerVendor

How much do you guys knock off on rebuilds for Tech members?

All depends

Quick Reply: Clutch/Transmission Problems.