Sponsored by:

Hotter Thermostat for LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hotter Thermostat for LS1?

Hi

For some reason my LS1 runs very cool. In summer it will stay at 175 (according to my temp guage in the car), unless stopped for a while.

In the wintern in cool weater it doesn't even get taht warm.

It will not drive the heater enough to warm the car.

I'm told by a guy at Advance Auto Parts that with my Griffin Radiator it is just cooling the engine 'too well'.

I seem to only fine 190 at most on a thermostat. Was thinking of trying to come up with a hotter one, but not sure I can.

Anyone have any thoughts?

BTW...I have changed the Tstat before. In fact when I first got this conversion going, I had a very long thread here talking about it running too cool (wouldn't hardly come off of the C on the guage)...but it turned out I had a 2003 waterpump on this 2004 engine (engine probably manufacture in 2003)...and that let water through. Main point is, I do not think I have a faulty thermostat.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do u have a truck pump?
ive noticed that when ive used truk pumps the engines run cooler, even with stock t-stat. i think the truck pumps more more volume than the cars.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly do not know. I purchased this engine in crate, as a 2004 Corvette LS1. Then after getting it going I found it was a 2003 pump. I would expect it to be a Corvette versioned pump. It did have other Corvette compents, such as harmonic balancer, fly wheel, and oil pan.