Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 kicking out of 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 kicking out of 1st gear

Im assuming its a sincro but not sure. Thought I would ask to confirm and ask how big of a job is this. As far as my knowledge im good at working on cars, rebuilding motors of all sorts, machine work, rebuilding auto rwd trans and fwd std trans. Just want to know is there any tricks to taking the t56 apart and any special tools. And the same for putting it back together.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

I forgot to mention that it happens when I release the clutch like when leaving a stop light being easy on it.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a nice sticky at the top of the forum on rebuilding step-by-step. Easy enough with the right tools, time, patience, preparation.

1st gear synchro wear would point to a bad clutch.. More likely than not, your 1-2 fork pads are worn/broken and you're not getting full engagement, causing the gear pop.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

It dont happen all the time and thats what has me stuck on it. I was told when I got the car that the trans had been gone thru and replaced the shift forks with steel ones and some other B.S. but I dont believe everything I hear when buying a car. Could it possibly be the shifter fork pads? Oh nevermind I see thats what you said it could be. But thats most likely what you think it is?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Does the trans need to be completely taken apart to replace the shifter pads? Or is it something that can be done by just opening the case and getting to it?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1kbush
Does the trans need to be completely taken apart to replace the shifter pads? Or is it something that can be done by just opening the case and getting to it?
Taken apart as far down as separating all 3 case pieces and pulling out the mainshaft and shift rail.. You won't have to pull the 1-2-3gears/synchros from the mainshaft, but while you're that deep into it, you might want to at least give them a very close inspection.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I plan on checking everythinhg out while im in there and I shouldnt have to remove the bellhousing should I? I havent really looked at it underneath much but I would think the trans unbolts on the outside from the bellhousing. Should be simple getting the trans out just got to get it apart.

Quick Reply: t56 kicking out of 1st gear