Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

roadracers, help me with suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roadracers, help me with suspension setup

I'm looking to set my car up for future roadracing yet still maintain some streetability since it's currently my daily driver.

I'm probably going to get slp boxed subframe connectors and 17x9.5 wheels but the rest I'm undecided on.

Help me with my setup roadracers

What swaybars?

Shocks?

Springs?

etc.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right now, LG Motorsports has ALL there suspension stuff on sale at 25% off and their coil over package is $100 off. So, you could save some serious coin.

Setup depends a lot on your driving style and your feel for the car. For instance ...

Some like a soft spring and big sway bar package while others prefer a stiffer spring and smaller sway bar. Each will accomlish about the same thing. A shock decision will be based upon which springs you chose.

Hard parts ... there is no decision here. rid all chassis mounting points of anything soft and pliable, like rubber or poly bushings. Heim joints (spherical bearings) are the only way to prevent binding and make the car predictable. If you go cheap here, the bearings will make all kinds of noise and wear out really fast. Don't skimp here.

I run a stiff spring, smaller sway bar, Bilstein shock and heim joints everywhere. Road noise is significantly increased, but nothing that a fully capped Borla and Sammy Hagar can't overcome. The ride is "hard" ... but that is what is needed if you hit a road course. You have to feel the car.

But before you do ANY of that, a quality seat, 5pt harness and rollbar should be priority on your to do list. All those parts will do you no good if you are dead or injured after dropping two tires and sliding it sideways into a wall.

Safety should be first and is usually last.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Just wanted to also mention on the 5pt harness, you really should keep your normal seatbelt also and wear that on the street - a 5pt harness needs to be snugged down *very* tight for it to work properly - the material does not give like your seatbelt does. A 5pt harness on losely is arguable more dangerous than no belt at all. That and a 5pt harness is not legal for street use - so you can still get a ticket, plus if there is an injury/claim the insurance company may hassle you.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

I'm going with the bigger swaybars route because I think it'll be more streetable (this is still my daily driver). Actually tracking the car is a ways down the road so I don't want to get too hardcore just yet.

I'm thinking maybe 35 front 21 back on swaybars but I have no idea on the shocks and springs. I want to lower the car about an inch too.

Quick Reply: roadracers, help me with suspension setup