Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which predator to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which predator to buy?

What is the difference between a SLP predator, granatelli predator, and a regular diablosport predator?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can not tell you the difference between them but I can tell you they are all a waist of money. Look at getting HP Tuners or EFI Live. Or pay a profesional tuning shop to tune the car for you.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
I can not tell you the difference between them but I can tell you they are all a waist of money. Look at getting HP Tuners or EFI Live. Or pay a profesional tuning shop to tune the car for you.
I know getting a professional tuning shop would be best, but I dont know of any in my local area (Vancouver). So I would just like to know the difference.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Far cry from a waste of money sir...

You'd be hard pressed to find a tool that can read/clear codes, and datalog without the need for a laptop for the price of a Predator, not to mention also being able to tune your vehicle...
Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by some_punk
What is the difference between a SLP predator, granatelli predator, and a regular diablosport predator?
SLP Predators have tunes created by SLP for use with their Power Pacs they sell for most cars.

The G units are simply regular Predators with a sticker on them.

Standard Predators have tunes designed for a stock to mildly modified vehicle to increase performance and mileage.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
SLP Predators have tunes created by SLP for use with their Power Pacs they sell for most cars.

The G units are simply regular Predators with a sticker on them.

Standard Predators have tunes designed for a stock to mildly modified vehicle to increase performance and mileage.

Thanks
Mike

So they can all bascially do the same thing. Then why does the standard predator cost more than a granatelli unit? and will a predator be enough for a tune for longtubes and can i delete and turn off the AIR and rear O2s with it
Old 10-10-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Far cry from a waste of money sir...

You'd be hard pressed to find a tool that can read/clear codes, and datalog without the need for a laptop for the price of a Predator, not to mention also being able to tune your vehicle...
I am sorry, I do not mean to bash your product. I use to own one, then went to LS1 edit, and now I run HP Tuners. You can do so much more with HP Tuners and EFI Live, but you also have to have high skills to use them.

Question, what do the professional tuning shops use? LSxEdit, HP Tuners, and EFI Live is the answer, and why is that?
Old 10-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Launching!

busted.

slink away.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Hey did you mean Vancouver Canada? If so I live here too and lookin for some dyno tuners, I think I might be able to help you out a bit man
Old 10-10-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

While I do agree that Hp tuners does alot more. The predator is nice to clear codes and have live data readings. If I didn't have mine I wouldn't have known that my knock sensor was going out ( pulling 4 degrees). Also you can have tuners put tunes in them. Like having a NA tune and then switch to the Nitrous tune.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I realy do not mean to bash the product and I think I was a bit too smart a$$y with my reply. There is a place for the Diablo products, and there is a place for HP and EFI. It realy depends on the users wishes and goals. Some people want minor mods and do not want to learn to tune, this is were I agree HP or EFI is not going to make the user happy, and some people want to mod the heck out of their stuff and want to learn to tune so HP and EFI gives them the ability to get crazy.

So please forgive my a$$yness earlier. I had a knee jerk reaction to the post. My original point was not well point. What I should of asked the OP was just how much modification does he plan to do to his car? If he only wants to do bolt ons, like headers,TB and sutch, then the Diablo product line will work for him. If he wants to go to cam swaps and head mods or incressing cubic inches or forced induction then a product like HP or EFI would be a better choice for him.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SimRacer1
Hey did you mean Vancouver Canada? If so I live here too and lookin for some dyno tuners, I think I might be able to help you out a bit man
Yea, I am in Vancouver Canada. I tried to find a few on vancouver f-body but not really much help there.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Launching!

I got a hold of a few shops with dyno tunes and use efi live and hptuners. A couple of them said efi live is always their first choice as its even more flexible than hptuners, regardless they are both awesome and most everyone on here with a pro tune seem to have used one or the other.

The shops i found all have experience with muscle cars, I believe them too cause there are tons of guys especially out in Langley, Abbotsford, etc with muscle cars and customs thanks to Mission raceway.

I had a list with #s and everything, ill get it to you in a day or 2

Maybe we can work out a deal if we bring both our cars there, mines mostly tuned, just needs a bit of fine tuning now that I added cats back on (think its too rich for the cats).
Old 10-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SimRacer1
I got a hold of a few shops with dyno tunes and use efi live and hptuners. A couple of them said efi live is always their first choice as its even more flexible than hptuners, regardless they are both awesome and most everyone on here with a pro tune seem to have used one or the other.

The shops i found all have experience with muscle cars, I believe them too cause there are tons of guys especially out in Langley, Abbotsford, etc with muscle cars and customs thanks to Mission raceway.

I had a list with #s and everything, ill get it to you in a day or 2

Maybe we can work out a deal if we bring both our cars there, mines mostly tuned, just needs a bit of fine tuning now that I added cats back on (think its too rich for the cats).
Wow LAngley and abbostford is quite far for me.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

I realy do not mean to bash the product and I think I was a bit too smart a$$y with my reply. There is a place for the Diablo products, and there is a place for HP and EFI. It realy depends on the users wishes and goals. Some people want minor mods and do not want to learn to tune, this is were I agree HP or EFI is not going to make the user happy, and some people want to mod the heck out of their stuff and want to learn to tune so HP and EFI gives them the ability to get crazy.

So please forgive my a$$yness earlier. I had a knee jerk reaction to the post. My original point was not well point. What I should of asked the OP was just how much modification does he plan to do to his car? If he only wants to do bolt ons, like headers,TB and sutch, then the Diablo product line will work for him. If he wants to go to cam swaps and head mods or incressing cubic inches or forced induction then a product like HP or EFI would be a better choice for him.
Great post, thanks for clarifying your point. As hard as it is for some folks to believe, not everybody has the desire, time or skills to go "***** to the wall" with their LS1. In these cases a Predator is fine, I have been using mine for several years and it works for me.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Launching!

How far can a custom tune for a predator go? Can I get a cam and use a custom tune? and where can you go to download a custom tune?
Old 11-14-2009, 09:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by some_punk
How far can a custom tune for a predator go? Can I get a cam and use a custom tune? and where can you go to download a custom tune?
a custom diablo predator tune can go as far as any custom hptuners/efi live tune...

their professional dealer/tuner CMR software is just like hptuners/efi live...

you can't "download" a custom tune from anywhere, you'd need to find yourself a diablosport CMR dealer/tuner, and either visit them in person so you can get your car on the dyno and be custom tuned right there, or email them copies of your tune files, and they can create you a custom tune for anything... then they email you back a custom tune file made for your vehicle, you import it to the predator, and you install it to your car....

and fyi, do NOT get a granatelli versioned predator... diablo does not make them for granatelli anymore, so any that they have and are still selling, are OLD and will not have all the latest capabilities or features...

you want to get the regular diablosport predator...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Quick Reply: Which predator to buy?