Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 wont go in or stay in reverse?

Old 10-11-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T56 wont go in or stay in reverse?

Hey guys I got an 01 camaro ss and it wont go into or stay in reverse. The only way reverse will work is if I hold it in with ALOT of force, and even then it doesnt feel like it goes into gear at all. The car has 18,900 miles on it, is it possible I need to rebuild the trans or is there something else that could be the problem?
Old 10-11-2009, 07:06 AM
12 Second Club

best bet is to talk to JOEY at TICK PERFORMANCE..he can/will take good care of you...www.tickperformance.com hes bad *** and KNOWS hsi stuff!!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like the Keys could have fallen out of the Slider of the Pads wore off of the Fork. Reverse sits in the very back of the Trans..it's not that hard to get to and see what's going on.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a few things, and MOST of everything related to reverse IS in teh tailhousing, so you could possibly fix this, with tranny still in car.

However, it COULD be the key-way waaaaaaayyyyy up in teh front of teh tranny, on the shifter rail.

Now, I doubt it is that, but COULD be.

But reverse enagagement teeth could be worn out along with the things Merv said above...

If in need of a rebuild, but can't handle it yourself, you can always send it to my shop, and can get you rebuilt and upgraded at teh same time.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. Im still having a hard time understanding how this transmission could need a rebuild. Also to add to my description of whats going on with reverse. A few weeks ago when I last drove the car reverse worked fine. Then friday I drove the car and when I tried to back out of the garage reverse started acting up.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
Thanks for the replies. Im still having a hard time understanding how this transmission could need a rebuild. Also to add to my description of whats going on with reverse. A few weeks ago when I last drove the car reverse worked fine. Then friday I drove the car and when I tried to back out of the garage reverse started acting up.
When the keys/springs/pad break, there's often no warning or indication. When they wear, the driver gets to fight the problems that worsen over time..

The Keys/fork-pads are the weak link in the T56 and are replaced with upgraded billet/bronze versions in higher-HP/endurance rebuilds.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it possible that my reverse lockout solenoid has malfunctioned? If so what is involved in fixing or replacing that?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Launching!

My reverse was doing the same thing. I just replaced the bearings and what not in the reverse and now it works perfect.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
Is it possible that my reverse lockout solenoid has malfunctioned? If so what is involved in fixing or replacing that?
The lockout just prevents access of the shifter to the Rev gate. Your description described engaging and retaining engagement, which would be after you've entered the gate..

Regardless, if you can't tell the difference getting into the Rev gate with the car stopped, engine running and clutch in, vs with the engine off, then your lockout may have blown a fuse, burnt a wire, or just gone bad..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T56 wont go in or stay in reverse?