Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUDGET LQ4 Combo advice wanted..

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default BUDGET LQ4 Combo advice wanted..

I have searched and searched, and searched some more....

I'd like to get some advice, knowledge, and experience in here on this to make sure I am going in the right direction. I have an LQ4 (STAYING EFI) going into an "open track" style daily driven Foxbody Mustang that will be coupled with a T56 and would like to give a short rundown of my intentions/requirements for the car as well as a loose "grocery list" on my set-up/build and the guidelines I am trying to follow for my specific needs.

The "build thread" link is in my sig, so feel free to check it out for any info I may leave out here to keep this thread form being long as hell.

The car should weigh in around 3k lbs. with the iron 6.0L, I can put up with a fair amount of crappy street manners whether from a choppy cam, or from my bone jarring suspension set-up that's already under the car, but do NOT want to go as far as to not have decent throttle response or a crappy area "under the curve" that will cause my drivability to suffer and the "seat of the pants" feeling when I romp on the car to lack luster either.

This car WILL see a 150hp "wet shot" of the gas for ***** and giggles, and I (and my tuner) want to get the SCR numbers as close to 11.5:1 as possible. Aside from rings, bearings, POSSIBLY some Katech rodbolts, and an LS2 chain, new OP, etc., we do not want to touch the bottom end on account of the budget; therefor, the compression MUST come from milling the heads. I KNOW that's not the PREFERRED way to meet that demand, but it's all I have; and from what I am hearing, that knocks the L92/LS3 heads out of the equation due to the shrouding of the larger valves even with the 4.0" bore of the LQ4 after the excesive milling of the heads.

So, I'm leaning very hard toward the PRC Stage 1.0 LS6 CNC Ported Heads from TSP along with upgraded springs, retainers, locks, and pushrods and will have them milled down to increase SCR by TSP (at no charge going off what I am reading) -I am staying away from the 5.3 heads due to their larger 2.02" intake valves, and do not want to push my luck on PTV considering how much the heads will need to be milled. I do NOT want to FC my pistons.

Now, I'd like to run a custom grind cam (also on the advice of my tuner, as well as my own personal thoughts on the matter) similar to this grind ALSO by TSP: 233/239, .595"/.603" and a 112 deg. LSA

I have picked up an LS6 intake/TB/and aftermarket rails w/ -AN fittings and line (I know it aint a F.A.S.T., but I am on a budget and can change intakes later if need be) for a good deal from my guys I got the motor from.

My exhaust will be handled with a set of Dynatech 1-7/8" pri. and 3" col. Ceramic headers into a dual mandrel bent 3" system w/X-pipe and Hooker "Max-Flow" (straight through turbo oval case) mufflers and dumps.

Fuel System is a 255 high pressure (Walbro GS340) intank pump and an aeromotive FPR with 42# injectors, and of course I will have the car tuned.

This Mustang runs a 3.73 rear gear and about a 26" tall tire (Nitto DR 285/35/18) on a 10" rim. I picked up a SPEC Stage 3+ clutch kit last week along with a SPEC Billet STEEL flywheel too.

I am HOPING to peak around 450RWHP WITHOUT spinning the motor to the moon, while having a fair amount of "power UNDER the curve".

I am fully aware that some of my items could be improved upon once the money is available AFTER the swap is done and my wallet has some time to recover, but what I want to know is if there are any MAJOR HOLES in this plan, and if so, WHY? I have already PM'd Texas Speed, but have not yet heard back from them, so I figured I'd make a thread and go from there.

I am EAGERLY ready to listen, and thanks in advance fella's.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1-you didn`t install the engine yet so my advice is that you can notch the pistons and then be able to pick what ever heads and cam profile with a higher lift if better suited .... it`s a mod worth doing and will open heads and cam options in my opinion
maybe on your set yp a stage 2.5 5.3 that`s already has bigger valves and double springs is better and less milling?

2-ported TB for now because cheap and good gains (but ported fast 92/92 later for better breathing)
Old 10-11-2009, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

The main reason I dont wanna FC the pistons is due to the spray I'm gonna run. I'd rather not have any sharp edges that are likely to promote hot spots in the CC if I can help it. I feel bad enough running the Hypers as it is, and dont wanna push my luck.

Anybody else? Any guesses on what kinda numbers and operating range we're gonna see here? 26 views and 1 reply, lol.

Hopefully one of these TSP guys will chime in tomorrow, but in the mean time, anybody else?

Thanks,

-Greg
Old 10-12-2009, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Nobody? Anyone? Anyone?? Ferris??
Old 10-12-2009, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

See the build thread in my sig. if I am leaving out any vital info required to make comments on this set-up. If it hasnt been covered here, it's more than likely covered in that thread in the Hybrid swap section.

Thanks,

-Greg
Old 10-12-2009, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Did I pick the wrong spot for this thread? Damn... Maybe the OP is too long, hell I dunno; -Just wanted to be as specific as I could and supply the most info possible for anyone with some answers.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Littlemotor
Did I pick the wrong spot for this thread? Damn... Maybe the OP is too long, hell I dunno; -Just wanted to be as specific as I could and supply the most info possible for anyone with some answers.
It seems that weekends are not good for getting help from sponsors who post as part of their jobs. This isn't the first time this has happened.

If you are leaning toward some specific heads and cam, which you indicated you are, you really don't want contrary advice, but rather affirmation that you made a good choice. If anyone thinks you did not make the best choice, they are want to mention it because it usually causes a storm.

FWIW, if you drop the idea of a nitrous shot, you could actually do a "budget" 6L engine that would live and make the kind of power/torque you need. It has been done, but not by everyone who tries.

Keep an open mind.

Good luck.

Jon
Old 10-12-2009, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
It seems that weekends are not good for getting help from sponsors who post as part of their jobs. This isn't the first time this has happened.
That's a very good point Jon, I look pretty oblivious in that regard, lol. I'm a "regular" on a few local(ish) car forums where the shop sponsor guys are in and out at all hours just to "shoot the breeze" and check up on threads in their "off time". I reckon that kinda spoiled me a bit, and I'll be taking a more relaxed approach on waiting for replies.

If you are leaning toward some specific heads and cam, which you indicated you are, you really don't want contrary advice, but rather affirmation that you made a good choice. If anyone thinks you did not make the best choice, they are want to mention it because it usually causes a storm.
-Also some fine points made here too. I didnt realize that I was coming off as looking for affirmation, but indeed I suppose I am. I'm new to the Gen III stuff and realize while these motors do share many of the facets of the older stuff, but I still have a LOT to learn, and therefor value any advice or direction that I can get.
I had read here and asked around locally regarding my set-up and goals for the motor/car/etc., and did my best to come up with what I thought would be a decent combo that would suit my needs while also being (most importantly) well matched. As you've said, I am definitely looking for some experienced players to chime in and tell me if it's gonna be what I'm looking for, or if I have dropped the "proverbial ball". I understand what you mean about causing a shitstorm if any other parts are brought to the attn. of a fella that seems to already have his mind made up too, and hope I did not come across as difficult to deal with in that regard. I am all ears for the "why's and where for's" as to what could stand to be refined or taken out of the equation all together.

FWIW, if you drop the idea of a nitrous shot, you could actually do a "budget" 6L engine that would live and make the kind of power/torque you need. It has been done, but not by everyone who tries.
I'd definitely like to ear your thoughts (or anybody's) on this too. I was under the impression that a 150 wet hit of the giggles would be pretty conservative with the proper timing pullout and added fuel (proper N2O tune) when the system is armed. This will not be a "dedicated" nitrous mill, but I do plan to pull the trigger now and then, or if I do end up @ the drags one evening. Is there a "weak link" here that I am not aware of by chance?

Keep an open mind.

Good luck.

Jon
Will do Jon, and thanks for replying. I hope to hear from you again buddy,

-Greg
Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

First problem i see is rod bolts, there should be no maybe about it. If your planning to race this motor, make 450rwhp, and add 150 shot, then do the rod bolts.

Number 2, its going to be tough to meet that goal with an LS6 intake.

FWIW, i made 445 with Katech heads, stock FAST90, and 228/230 cam through 1 3/4" headers and magnaflow mufflers.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Greg,

The s***storm I mentioned would be coming not from the poster but from some of those folks whos logos appear on the right.

I'm not going to tell you what you need to do and with whom to make your Budget 6L for two reasons: one is obviously the s-storm, and the other involves money. Some folks make money doing just what you want to achieve. I'm not about to empty their pockets for them.

The internet is a great tool. OK, there are a lot of "tools" trolling the net, but keep looking around. You may stumble across just what you are looking for.

Jon
Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Greg,

The weak link in your setup is the LQ4. The dish pistons ~6.7cc are a bitch to get the right compression out of it. 11.5 SCR would require like 57.5 cc heads AND .040 gasket.
Wich means you'll be able to put in a tiny cam with a wide LSA, not what you have in mind (I think).

Also your goal of 450rwhp will require some pretty good heads.

My Q is: Do you allready have the LQ4? if not search for a LQ9 or LS2. If you do, consider getting a new set of pistons, with like 2cc reliefs, which will allow you to then run a L92 setup and exceed your expectations.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adam1803
First problem i see is rod bolts, there should be no maybe about it. If your planning to race this motor, make 450rwhp, and add 150 shot, then do the rod bolts.

Number 2, its going to be tough to meet that goal with an LS6 intake.

FWIW, i made 445 with Katech heads, stock FAST90, and 228/230 cam through 1 3/4" headers and magnaflow mufflers.
Good call buddy. I WILL be using the Katech rodbolts, and I'd be a fool not to. I had heard that the stockers were not a problem, and heard also that they were. I think it'd be cheap insurance, and for sure "piece of mind" to say the very least.

As for the intake, I know I will not reach the fullest potential of the set-up without the F.A.S.T. units, but can always go back and upgrade after my wallet has recovered a bit from the initial blow of the swap itself. Also, nice numbers from your previous set-up. What is your current one if you dont mind me asking?
Greg,

The s***storm I mentioned would be coming not from the poster but from some of those folks whos logos appear on the right.

I'm not going to tell you what you need to do and with whom to make your Budget 6L for two reasons: one is obviously the s-storm, and the other involves money. Some folks make money doing just what you want to achieve. I'm not about to empty their pockets for them.

The internet is a great tool. OK, there are a lot of "tools" trolling the net, but keep looking around. You may stumble across just what you are looking for.

Jon
Thanks for clarifying that Jon, and I can clearly see how that could "go down"... I understand your position as far as not wanting to take the food off the tables of our forum sponsors as well as possible friendships you may have here also.

FWIW, I have a great bunch of guys in my corner here locally, and they are friends of mine as well and build stuff that makes good power under the curve AS WELL AS peak numbers, and their motors tend to live a long life as well, however, I DO want to educate myself as well as I can by doing research on my own and asking advice and experience of as many folks as I can to keep me moving in the right direction.

Keep 'em coming guys, and dont be afraid to shoot me a PM or two.

Thanks LS1tech!

-Greg
Old 10-13-2009, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Hi Greg,

The weak link in your setup is the LQ4. The dish pistons ~6.7cc are a bitch to get the right compression out of it. 11.5 SCR would require like 57.5 cc heads AND .040 gasket.
Wich means you'll be able to put in a tiny cam with a wide LSA, not what you have in mind (I think).

Also your goal of 450rwhp will require some pretty good heads.

My Q is: Do you allready have the LQ4? if not search for a LQ9 or LS2. If you do, consider getting a new set of pistons, with like 2cc reliefs, which will allow you to then run a L92 setup and exceed your expectations.

Well dang.... The LQ4 is bought and paid for, and will be here Thursday morning. What a bummer... I reckon I can see why the LQ4's tend to make good budget TURBO foundations then. Shoot.... My deal with the SCR is (2) things here, 1-is obviously that big compression makes for big power, and 2-Nitrous seems to take advantage of big compression and I REALLY want to get a shot of spray on this motor. Hmmmm, sounds like I boxed myself in from the get go a bit; atleast if I am shooting for peak numbers and the level of power under the curve as well. I had hoped to be able to make up for the dish with smaller chambers, and now am seeing why that's not always the best choice.

I wonder if me willing to budge on flycutting the factory pistons to remain in the budget will help yield the results I am looking for or will simply just be band-aiding the problem further.

Dang it.

Thanks for the reply buddy, I DO appreciate it.

-Greg
Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well dang.... The LQ4 is bought and paid for, and will be here Thursday morning. What a bummer... I reckon I can see why the LQ4's tend to make good budget TURBO foundations then. Shoot.... My deal with the SCR is (2) things here, 1-is obviously that big compression makes for big power, and 2-Nitrous seems to take advantage of big compression and I REALLY want to get a shot of spray on this motor. Hmmmm, sounds like I boxed myself in from the get go a bit; atleast if I am shooting for peak numbers and the level of power under the curve as well. I had hoped to be able to make up for the dish with smaller chambers, and now am seeing why that's not always the best choice.

I wonder if me willing to budge on flycutting the factory pistons to remain in the budget will help yield the results I am looking for or will simply just be band-aiding the problem further.

Dang it.

Thanks for the reply buddy, I DO appreciate it.

-Greg
What will achieve your goals with less SCR is a good set of heads and the right cam. Try locating a set of used AFR205s, mill those to 59cc with a 224 range cam and you'll be right in the area you want to be with awsome trq to boot. You would be very close or at 11:1 which is about perfect for pump fuel.No flycut needed.
Bottom line the heads are what make or break a combo (along with the "right" cam).
Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

As for the intake, I know I will not reach the fullest potential of the set-up without the F.A.S.T. units, but can always go back and upgrade after my wallet has recovered a bit from the initial blow of the swap itself. Also, nice numbers from your previous set-up. What is your current one if you dont mind me asking?
I switched to a Vengeance ported FAST and a Pat G cam, which is a hair bigger then my old one, but drives better and obviously makes more power.

BTW, my shortblock is a stock LQ4 with ARP rod bolts, and i've got under $1000 in my heads brand new.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Subscribed. I am looking at doing this down the road, and it would seem that the "budget-minded" information here is something I will need.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adam1803
I switched to a Vengeance ported FAST and a Pat G cam, which is a hair bigger then my old one, but drives better and obviously makes more power.

BTW, my shortblock is a stock LQ4 with ARP rod bolts, and i've got under $1000 in my heads brand new.
That's awesome man, what heads are you running (valves/springs/ports/etc.)? You can PM me if need be. I dont want to rub anybody the wrong way.
Originally Posted by gnasty1521
Subscribed. I am looking at doing this down the road, and it would seem that the "budget-minded" information here is something I will need.
Good deal man, and I'll keep this thread updated with my set-up and dyno numbers, etc. along the way.

Thanks and keep 'em coming guys!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
What will achieve your goals with less SCR is a good set of heads and the right cam. Try locating a set of used AFR205s, mill those to 59cc with a 224 range cam and you'll be right in the area you want to be with awsome trq to boot. You would be very close or at 11:1 which is about perfect for pump fuel.No flycut needed.
Bottom line the heads are what make or break a combo (along with the "right" cam).
I somehow missed this post PredatorZ.

I've got a vicious cold or possibly the flu ATM, and the Thera-Flu is whoopin' my ***, so bear with me, lol.

The only thing that sucks about this is the scoring a set of used AFR's for cheap.... Everything else in the reply is right up my ally to be honest... Sounds like maybe I oughta run a cam spec'd to a set of AFR's and mill the stock 799's for now and swap out heads when my wallet allows and re-tune. Any further thoughts on cam selection if I were to do that?

Thanks man,

-Greg
Old 10-14-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I'm reading out of this thread... my build is basically what you are looking for...
Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I somehow missed this post PredatorZ.

I've got a vicious cold or possibly the flu ATM, and the Thera-Flu is whoopin' my ***, so bear with me, lol.

The only thing that sucks about this is the scoring a set of used AFR's for cheap.... Everything else in the reply is right up my ally to be honest... Sounds like maybe I oughta run a cam spec'd to a set of AFR's and mill the stock 799's for now and swap out heads when my wallet allows and re-tune. Any further thoughts on cam selection if I were to do that?

Thanks man,

-Greg
To reach 450rwhp with stock 799 you'll need a pretty good size cam and to fit that with the mill needed is going to require flycuting.

But I would say 224/230 .609, .604 113+2 LSA, that should get you in the 400>410 rwhp properly done.

Quick Reply: BUDGET LQ4 Combo advice wanted..