Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy calling G-body owners

Old 10-11-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb New Guy calling G-body owners

Greetings all,

I have a 1987 Monte Carlo SS that will be getting a 2004 5.3L and 4l80e in the near future. By searching and prowling this forum for a good while I have been able to answer many of the questions I have had but can't get a straight answer on accessories.

My engine came with all the truck accessories and I am wondering if I can use the brackets that I have or if I need a F-body set-up or kit from kwik performance? The car has a 3" fiberglass cowl hood by Harwood so I am pretty sure the tall intake will clear but don't know if the alternator is too far forward or off to the left to fit under the cowl. Are any of you G guys running the stock truck accessories? What motor mounts/plates are you using to make the accessories clear?

Sorry if this has already been covered, I haven't been able to find this info. in my searches.

Mike
Old 10-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default G-Body LS Swaps

There are a lot of G-body LS swaps here...I'll link a few to get you started.

Probably John Bzdels Monte swaps are among the best documented:
http://www.ls7montess.com/
The car is currently LS7 powered, but in the middle of the page, click the "here" link to the original LS1 swap:
http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/

and, of course, the G-body swap thread:https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ap-thread.html

This is a 5.3l Malibu swap w/ 4L60 trans w/ lots of pics:
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

Also, this 85 El Camino w/ 5.3l and 4L60:
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...d=1&carid=3043

Good luck w/ your project
Old 10-11-2009, 08:57 PM
FormerVendor

The truck accessories will work under the hood of a G-body. It's close, but it all fits. You will probably have to purchase a smaller diameter power steering pulley. I think my pulley came off a Trailblazer. It was 1" smaller than the stock truck pulley. HTH.
Good Luck!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:35 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You rang.

The truck accys will fit in most of the G-Body cars. I know they fit the cutlass without any problems, the El Camino/malibu is tighter but fits and I believe they should also fit the montes, regals grand prix`s etc. Toss the underhood blanket though, or you will burn up voltage regulators in the alt. I used custom mounts that use f-body motor side mounts, they place the engine as low as possible and pretty far back too, so I had enough room for the stock PS pump pulley and to fit the intake/accys under the stock hood.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I also know that the truck accessories will fit under the hood, it close tho. Like Kevin said, the issue you'll most likely have to deal with is the power steering pulley. I got mine off a 3.1L V6 Grand Am or something. Those things are VERY common and should be pretty easy to find. I had to press it on the shaft a little further it to line up properly, so watch for that when pressing it on. The truck intake fit, but the Vortec 'beauty' cover wont...no biggie cuz its getting a FAST 102 next year anyways.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Hey thanks for the in info. guys. I sure am glad that I don't have to shell out more money to replace parts that I already have that are in perfectly good condition already (kinda on a budget). What you all seem to be leaving out is your motor mounts. Seems everyone is always saying that the reason why there are no definite answers for swaps is because of all the different companies making slightly different products. If you don't mind please let me know what plates and mounts you are using on your G-bodies that allow the stock truck accessories to fit under the hood. I'd like to start shopping for these parts as I progress in buying parts needed for this swap.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Moroso 62630 $43bucks.
Transdapt 4595 motor mount kit $62bucks. Or the stock v8 mounts will work I think, I had a v6.

The transdapt is the 1" set back kit. However you can get it stock location as well. The 4595 will hit the factory A/C box (If I had one..I'm going Vintage Air next summer) There is a post of the mods needed some where on this site.

Good Luck.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Cool thanks mach.80. I think I have found the transdapt stock location kit (want to keep A/C). Since I already have a V8 I should just be able to get regular motor mounts to work with the transdapt plates, correct? I'd rather not use solid motor mounts as I plan on doing a lot of driving and don't know if solid mounts would transfer too much vibration into the car.

Mike
Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is solid mounted and Im pretty surprised how smoothe it is. But it is a stock 4.8L that is a smoothe engine.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Would the solid mounts make the engine sit lower in cradle since there would be no cushion?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont think so, maybe a fraction of an inch. The solid ones are designed to be a replacement for the urethane ones as far as dimensions go, unless you get taller ones, so they should put the motor in the same spot.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Sweet, thanks again for the information guys!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
Cool thanks mach.80. I think I have found the transdapt stock location kit (want to keep A/C). Since I already have a V8 I should just be able to get regular motor mounts to work with the transdapt plates, correct? I'd rather not use solid motor mounts as I plan on doing a lot of driving and don't know if solid mounts would transfer too much vibration into the car.

Mike
Yea not sure I'm having difficulty with trans dapt none of the holes lined up either on the block or the mounts that came with the kit. Bad tollerances I guess two kits same results Had to drill the holes some to get it together now motor sits too low and hits oil pan. Try another option!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Teching In

nice this is the info i am looking for too. I am also collecting parts for my cutlass/5.3 swap...
Old 10-22-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

mach.80 keep me up to date on your progress with transdapt plates and what plates you end up using. There is a post somewhere on here about plates on ebay for around $30, don't know if the guy bought and installed them yet...
Old 10-22-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Found them on ebay instead of trying to find the thread

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-C...item3a5387eda4
Old 10-25-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Transdapt plates and mounts work. But they will require some fitting to get them set up esp the 1" setback ones. For the price you cant beat them. They also include rubber mounts in the kit so If you use the 62630 your engine wont be solid mounted. I have been running this setup for about 3 years now.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the clarification topher455. Maybe I will buy the Moroso parts to clean up everything a little bit instead of using the stock, not so pretty, clam shells.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I used the ctsv pan. Which is my problem I think. I had to clearance the frame a little near the edges of the pan then I made 1/2" plates to go under the moroso plates. As for the Transdapt the holes didn't line up to the block or even to the mounts that came with them. Kinda sloppy tolerances. I had to drill out almost every hole and it was still tight. Ok now, just not bolt in. Itll work just not what I thought it was going to be.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
Found them on ebay instead of trying to find the thread

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-C...item3a5387eda4
I used ebay 1" setback adapters that ran me about $60, shipped. I have a set of the standard adapters (like those in your ebay link) if you're interested. They're new, and I opted not to use them. I used the Caddy CTS-V pan. The truck accessories cleared, the power steering pulley cleared, and the oil pan cleared the front x-member. I had to notch the heat/AC box, but if you grind the boss off your valve cover and modify your coil bracket, you may not have to do that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Guy calling G-body owners