Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dual Mass Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Mass Clutch

So I just picked one of these up from one of the members here. Can someone explain what the heck this thing is?

Also this is the set-up I needed it for: Im mounting a D&D viper T56 that I bought years ago to a newly purchased LQ4 for my 69 Camaro. I'm using a "old school" GM 621 bellhousing.

Is this clutch gonna work? Consider due to its addtional thickness that I'm gonna have to find a hydraulic TO bearing to work as well. I'd like to figure this out ASAP because the seller seems to be an upstanding individual and would hopefully take it back.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

69, I assume that your reference is to to a dual-mass flywheel. What vehicle did these parts come from (or what were they intended for use in)? Let me know and I will be happy to provide more info.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Yes sorry you are right "Dual Mass" flywheel.

I'm not sure what vehicle it came out of. The sellers claims it was a take off and LS6 motor.

Thanks, I could really use the help...
Old 10-12-2009, 02:10 PM
FormerVendor

The only thing that this could logically come from would be the CTS-V. The clutch assembly for this unit has a taller stack height than a standard GTO/Corvette and as such the flywheel and thus the clutch are different. Furthermore, the flywheel that you have, if it is in fact from the CTS-V is set-up for use with a drop-plate style pressure-plate. We offer a kit that bolts to the stock dual-mass flywheel (part number SC68-2 which is based around a stock CTS-V SAC-type plate) but this wouldn't work in the transmission you mention above because the heights are completely different. About the best that I can suggest is that you ditch the dual-mass unit and opt for an OE or Aftermarket LS1 clutch and flywheel. Of course I suggest our SC75S or SC75A flywheel and any of the SC09 clutch kits. Please let me know if you have any questions about the available options and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info.

Just for clarification,

My bellhousing is over an inch deeper than the LS series bellhousing giving me a little more room which also allows a longer TO to fit in. But let me guess this isnt gonna help me anyways, right?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
FormerVendor

Actually the difference in the OE and Aftermarket LS1/6 parts and those used with the CTS-V is about .700". Assuming that your measurements are right you could certainly give the SC68-2 kit a shot with your stock dual-mass flywheel. Or you could order the SC68 and SC57 flywheel with our .800" shim. I definitely suggest checking the clearances to insure that you don't have issue with release and in the worst case you would have to adjust the shim depth a bit. Here is the link to Tick's thread about shimming.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html
Old 10-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Staging Lane

Man I got a headache....

Could you clarify what the part numbers are? The way I read the post is this clutch wont work for me, but you have some parts that could be added to it to make it work? Right?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

Actually you have two options. The first uses the dual-mass flywheel that you already have and one of our SC68-2 clutch kits. The second option moves you away from the dual-mass flywheel to a single-mass flywheel (our SC75S or A) and our SC68 clutch kit which includes a .800" shim that allows it to make-up the difference in the total height of the parts. I have provided a link to our web page specific to the CTS-V.

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Cadil...-V/2005/Single

The first set of parts are for use with the dual-mass flywheel and the second set references the use of our clutch and flywheel. Take a look and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Dual Mass Clutch