Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does a stall do? ...seriously

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does a stall do? ...seriously

I'm honestly lost on this... because I have to do a mayor rebuild on my trans, and I wanna have the right stuff...

Im going for a descent sized cam like a 230... and i'm also going for 3.73 gears out back... so, what Kinda Stall should I used?... I barely ever hit the DragStrip, and I spend alot of time running it on the street... It's NOT a daily driver, just my "RaceCar"... sooo... what kinda stall?, what does it do?, what's the effect of a tall stall from a low mph roll?... that's the stuff I wanna know, cause I'm honestly lost as to why everyone says 3800rpm stall... and not lower, and such...

Please HELP!... and THANKS!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out the stickies on the top of the forum
Old 10-12-2009, 06:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

A stall converter allows your engine to reach optimum power range before reaching its coupling phase. Does this mean you have to rev it to 3800 to move,certantly not. The higher the str the looser the converter will feel and more pedal it will take to move the car and vise versa for the lower. A 3800 or even a 4000 would work great with that camshaft but you will notice a converter in your car. While many do not mind this some do.Whoever you choose to build you a converter make sure that it is specific built for your combo and driving style. This will get you the most performance and reliabilty out of it. Just remember GOOD<CHEAP<FAST dont mix. A quality converter will set you back a few bucks.

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
A stall converter allows your engine to reach optimum power range before reaching its coupling phase. Does this mean you have to rev it to 3800 to move,certantly not. The higher the str the looser the converter will feel and more pedal it will take to move the car and vise versa for the lower. A 3800 or even a 4000 would work great with that camshaft but you will notice a converter in your car. While many do not mind this some do.Whoever you choose to build you a converter make sure that it is specific built for your combo and driving style. This will get you the most performance and reliabilty out of it. Just remember GOOD<CHEAP<FAST dont mix. A quality converter will set you back a few bucks.

Greg
I thought the higher STR made things tighter requiring less gas to move, and the opposite for lower STR's?? Not calling you out...just making sure I haven't had it wrong all this time.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

watch these........

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...uge-shots.html
Old 10-12-2009, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I thought the higher STR made things tighter requiring less gas to move, and the opposite for lower STR's?? Not calling you out...just making sure I haven't had it wrong all this time.
nooo sir. and look at his name FTICONVERTERS.. i think he knows his stuff
Old 10-13-2009, 05:34 AM
Teching In

hm... the vids look nice... seems descent enough, but... I think my cars gauges move faster... .... we'll... you guys have been alot of help and the info in site as well... I'll update with what I buy soon enough
Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default converter

If you want a dependable efficient converter get a Vigilante (Precision Industries) 3,200. Yank 3,600 is the other I would recommend. I've had them both and they work well.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:12 AM
Teching In

i was thinking of a Vigilante 9.5 inch... 2800... because I was told they tend to stall a bit higher then advertised...so it would be more like a 3200...

still kinda worried about roll racing though... jejeje.. big step for me, getting into the "expensive" part of the car, Trans, Rear end, Heads/Cam
Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

tell me, why would you want to buy a converter from a company that doesnt even get thier own stall spd right?(if thats the case). if i wanted to buy a converter that stalled at 3800, i sure as heck wouldnt want it to stall at 3600 or 4200 when i was under the impression i was getting one at 3800 think quality and precision- ive used Yank and heard olny great stuff about circle d and FTI just my .02 cents
Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Teching In

you make a very good point.. hadn't thought of it that way actually... so yeah, I'll keep looking around see what I can find, I'll also talk to my transmition mec... to see what he recomends...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

you got it backwards! The lower the str the tighter. Thats why normally anything with a 2.0 str or higher uses 9.5" housing, to help maintain efficiency. Yank has a write up on this, go to thier web site.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

i think where it stalls varies with your mods, so they can spec a converter for you, but the variations of your cars output will effect where it actually stalls. Thats how it was explained to me when I was buying my edge. I had a 2800 in my caprice which stalled a bit higher. Kind of a pain if its a daily driver. But it took away the creep when u let off the brake and just sit. Gas mileage goes way down in city since u gotta get rpms higher to move. Well to move efficiently. You definitly learn to drive your car a little differently. But I know when i got mine in my caprice felt 500 lbs lighter, it jumped off the line.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by futuref-body
nooo sir. and look at his name FTICONVERTERS.. i think he knows his stuff
Originally Posted by kinglt-1
you got it backwards! The lower the str the tighter. Thats why normally anything with a 2.0 str or higher uses 9.5" housing, to help maintain efficiency. Yank has a write up on this, go to thier web site.

"What makes some torque convertors "loose"?
The greater the STR, the tigher the stall will be. For example a 3200rpm 2.2str stall will be looser than a 3200rpm 2.5str stall. Also, as the rpm rating increases, so does the "looseness". For example a 3600rpm 2.5str stall will be looser than a 3200rpm 2.5str stall."

Guys, the above quote is from the stickies and supports what I've said. Furthermore, I've always been told this and posted it up more times than I can count and never had anyone say it was backwards. My basic understanding of converters since day one has always been that a higher STR will make the converter tighter, meaning less gas to accelerate. A 4000 stall with a 2.0 will be looser than a 4000 stall with a 2.5.

It gets really confusing when you start going into efficiency and such, but the basics still stand. Higher STR means harder hit out of the hole, tighter converter, and typically less efficiency. Lower STR means softer out of the hole, looser converter, and typically more efficiency. The Yank website doesn't contradict this either. I know FTI knows their stuff, but anyone can make a mistake.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Teching In

so if I don't wanna loose my top end so much, I need a looser Stall... basicly...
Old 10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

"What makes some torque convertors "loose"?
The greater the STR, the tigher the stall will be. For example a 3200rpm 2.2str stall will be looser than a 3200rpm 2.5str stall. Also, as the rpm rating increases, so does the "looseness". For example a 3600rpm 2.5str stall will be looser than a 3200rpm 2.5str stall."

Guys, the above quote is from the stickies and supports what I've said. Furthermore, I've always been told this and posted it up more times than I can count and never had anyone say it was backwards. My basic understanding of converters since day one has always been that a higher STR will make the converter tighter, meaning less gas to accelerate. A 4000 stall with a 2.0 will be looser than a 4000 stall with a 2.5.

It gets really confusing when you start going into efficiency and such, but the basics still stand. Higher STR means harder hit out of the hole, tighter converter, and typically less efficiency. Lower STR means softer out of the hole, looser converter, and typically more efficiency. The Yank website doesn't contradict this either. I know FTI knows their stuff, but anyone can make a mistake.
yes you are right. I had it backwards, my bad lol!
Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Teching In

I love my yank, I have a yank ss 4000 stall with a 2.5str and I love it. I dropped .7 on the quarter mile with the stall, and it drives great.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN
so if I don't wanna loose my top end so much, I need a looser Stall... basicly...
I would contact our sponsors and tell them exactly what you want...they'll take good care of you. In my experience, nothing pulls up top like Yank's PT series, but they aren't for everyone. They are very loose converters, and most probably wouldn't want to drive them every day. I personally wouldn't have it any other way. They pull hard from any speed and never stop sucking you back in the seat. I've tried tighter converters and really didn't like them.

Circle D also has options that are very similar to the PT series. Either of those companies will take good care of you and give you the absolute best product you can get. I'd look into something in the 4000+ range especially since you're going to add gears. That'll just help tighten things up even more. Do it right, and you'll have a street monster. Do yourself a favor and make some phone calls!