Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablo....do not use if not factory tune warning...question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo....do not use if not factory tune warning...question

I bought a new Diablo for a steal , works fine, have not loaded tune, but tested other things.

I bought a 2001 Ann Firehawk that I was told was unmodded except a borla. Pics did NOT show headers. So I get it and it has headers, lid, ported MAF, borla, o2 sims on the rears. Passed inspection but is a little fat by smell. Also pulls pretty damn stout for a "plain" ls1.

Seller bought car to flip, did not have a month, knows hardly anything about it. Diablo says do not use tune if not stock, I have no way of knowing really, short of having pcm reflashed, or "looked at?". I kinda think no tuning has been done due to being a little rich. To me it acts like a computer adjusting for more flowing exhaust, intake, etc. I would imagine, from what I have had done to my previous 97 Ws, after doing breathing mods, ignition, cam, i had it tuned by Pcmfor less, and the mail order tune made it damn near perfect air/fuel when it was fat prior due to mods.

So since diablo saves current tune, is there a huge risk with loading what is on the PRedator to see how it runs? I use premium obviously and more timing would help with the fatty trim. Right now no codes, no issues, runs pretty strong, but not as good mileage as it should be, around 12 in city versus 18 or so it should be.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

I would ask the folks at diablo predator if the flashing will hold the current tune (modded or not). This way if you arent happy, the tune can be reversed back to whatever was in it. Makes sense to me, but what do I now. And thats my point, the folks at diablo should be able to reply pretty quick if it'll save the old one for restoration.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Oh, forgot to include, you can also try one of the replacement stock tuned PCM's sold all over. This way you can flash it with the diablo, then if not happy you can restore the diablo then swap the PCM back to the one that was originally in it.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Well I called and told them about car, and they said dont worry, soudns like a factory tune. So I loaded the tuner and it showed a factory tune on there, or maybe it says that for all, anyways.

Did the process, and it took. A noticeable difference is there, only drove about 10 miles on errands, but it does run the rpms much faster. Idles a little higher though and I SWEAR my clutch pedal pressure dropped in half.??

No codes, rich smell has calmed down some, although i passed inspection with it last Friday to get it registered.

So going to enjoy this tune, then maybe send off for a custom one after I put a different lid, bellow, thermo, etc, little mods . Not really looking at cam or heads, or intake, I have the ls6 already and most basic intake upgrades dont flow as good as it or barely better from what I heard. You need the big Fast or others to get big improvements.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

I just bought a 98 camaro with LT and bolt ons and a diablo tune on it but he didnt have the tuner. Well that was fine i have hp tuner that i was going to tune with but with a diablo tuner it pulles out what they call checksums and hp would not pull the tune. I borrowed a hypertech from a friend and it pulled out the diablo tune then i coped the hypertech tune and it let me get in. Removed the hypertech and started putting my own tune in. So I would say you can pull any tune out and be ok
Old 03-11-2010, 04:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by billy.johnson
I just bought a 98 camaro with LT and bolt ons and a diablo tune on it but he didnt have the tuner. Well that was fine i have hp tuner that i was going to tune with but with a diablo tuner it pulles out what they call checksums and hp would not pull the tune. I borrowed a hypertech from a friend and it pulled out the diablo tune then i coped the hypertech tune and it let me get in. Removed the hypertech and started putting my own tune in. So I would say you can pull any tune out and be ok
We dont support the 98 models....?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by esresto
Well I called and told them about car, and they said dont worry, soudns like a factory tune. So I loaded the tuner and it showed a factory tune on there, or maybe it says that for all, anyways.

Did the process, and it took. A noticeable difference is there, only drove about 10 miles on errands, but it does run the rpms much faster. Idles a little higher though and I SWEAR my clutch pedal pressure dropped in half.??

No codes, rich smell has calmed down some, although i passed inspection with it last Friday to get it registered.

So going to enjoy this tune, then maybe send off for a custom one after I put a different lid, bellow, thermo, etc, little mods . Not really looking at cam or heads, or intake, I have the ls6 already and most basic intake upgrades dont flow as good as it or barely better from what I heard. You need the big Fast or others to get big improvements.
FWIW, a GM gas Predator will read anything off the PCM, unless it is locked...
Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The original Predator version basically pushed +6 degrees
timing across the board (a bit more or less, if you tell it).
A car with timing already pushed to its sensible limit, would
then be "over the top" and depend on KR for safety, not a
good bet. Plus there's the corporate lawyers.

There was at one time a modified firmware and a PC program
floating around that would let you modify based on present
tune file, not factory, and not push so hard. Whether that
is still accessible, or works with new versions, I couldn't say.
I don't use mine anymore.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
The original Predator version basically pushed +6 degrees
timing across the board (a bit more or less, if you tell it).
A car with timing already pushed to its sensible limit, would
then be "over the top" and depend on KR for safety, not a
good bet. Plus there's the corporate lawyers.

There was at one time a modified firmware and a PC program
floating around that would let you modify based on present
tune file, not factory, and not push so hard. Whether that
is still accessible, or works with new versions, I couldn't say.
I don't use mine anymore.
ALOT has changed these days for sure....